Using Rhino to produce 2d Drawings with hatches, from scratch

Hi. I am Miltos, I am an architect and a big fan of Rhino.
I currently use Rhino for creating 2d architectural drawings from scratch. I was using Autocad LT but for various reasons I decided to stay only with Rhino.
The bulk of my work is mostly for building permits. I want to clarify that I produce 2d drawing from scratch. I do not create 3d models and convert them to 2d. And these drawings need to be submitted at the competent authorities. One of my main difficulties is using a variety of hatches as I was able to do in Autocad.
Recently I tried to import a .pat file but a message appeared that this is an upgrade under process. I tried to trim or scale some hatches that appeared from the .dwg file but I could neither scale them as an object or transform them. Can anyone help me find a solution to create or transform some patterns until the upgrade is completed?
I personally believe that Rhino is a design program with many potentials. With a few features it could replace Autocad for the bulk of the architects. I have some suggestions for these but I will make them in a future post.

It would probably help the folks who could help you if you would be specific about what version of Windows and what version of Rhino you are using. Also the output from Rhino’s SystemInfo command.

I am using Rhino 6 on Windows 10.

OK, but which version of Rhino 6? That is, for example: 6.30.20280. This can be found on the “about” window on the help menu. There are new releases of Rhino 6 every month or two and new release candidates every week. If you are using an older version it’s possible your issue has already been fixed.

Another common issue is the video drivers not being up-to-date.

1 Like

How did you try to import the .pat file? You cannot drag and drop them, you must go to DocumentProperties>Hatch and hit the “Import” button.

Hatches have a scale value in properties, to scale the hatch pattern, change that value when the hatch is selected. That scales the hatch pattern for the object, not the actual hatch object geometry. Same for the hatch pattern rotation. To scale or rotate the hatch object (geometry), you can use the normal Rhino Scale or Rotate commands. The two are independent. You cannot trim existing hatches in V6, you can in V7.

If you have a .pat file you cannot import into Rhino, please post it here so someone may test.

1 Like

I searched for the version and it says 6.29.20238.11501, 25/8/2020
What can i do about the video drivers?
Where do I find them and how can I update them?
Thanks.

That depends on your video card(s). For the discrete cards, it will be on the manufacturers site either AMD or Nvidia. If you have integrated Intel graphics, that will be on the Intel driver site.

If you run SysyemInfo in Rhino and copy/paste the results here, someone will be able to tell you if your drivers need updating - if you have never done it, it is almost certainly the case.

Thank you Helvetosaur!.
I successfully imported all autocad default pat files and also one of my tiles hatch I had downloaded myself.
There is another tile pat file that was imported but not working. I think it was a problematic file anyways.
Yes Ι was scaling it with pattern scale but for patterns that are imported via a dwg file, thinks do not always work correctly.
Maybe is because the pattern file does not exist in the document properties.
When does the V7 coming?

Well, if you have an example, post it here so we can investigate why is doesn’t work…

1 Like

I tried to upload the pat file but this message appeared.upload problem

Just .zip it and it should upload.

1 Like

For what its worth here’s my experience with 2D drawings in Rhino. I’ve been modeling in Rhino full time for about seven years and I find the software just amazing for what it can do.
However I’ve been draughting in Vectorworks because I found it more efficient and I had a lot more control over the look of the drawing (especially with text, fills, line weight and hatches).
About six months ago I made up my mind to spend a lot of time learning the 2D side of Rhino and to switch Rhino for the drafting. I persevered for about four months and finally realised I could work far more efficiently by sending my Dxf’s to Vectorworks.
I instantly achieved greater productivity with much simpler drawing setup (especially layer structure) and significantly reduced time to produce drawings.
While Rhino is absolutely exceptional for what it does; trying to incorporate an elegant 2D drafting package into the software is simply adding unwanted complexity.
Tony Grainger

1 Like

I believe only few additions are needed in the existing commands and the whole package will be competitive enough.
Personally I am very satisfied for the time being. And I believe that learning new tricks and the future upgrades of the program will improve its drafting usage.

HRDD35OS.7z (335 Bytes)

That hatch pattern imports OK here, it’s just at a very large scale, so the preview looks white. Here is what it looks like at 0.05 scale factor:

ps in the future, please use normal zip and not 7z, not everyone can open WinRar files.

1 Like

Always check Mcneel wiki

1 Like

The image on that page looks like Rhino V4 though… maybe that needs a bit of updating… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: