Using Populate Geometry and setting a fix distance between points

Hi,

I want to populate points on a given surface and be able to define a distance between these points. I searched the forum but couldn’t find the right solution. I appreciate if you can help me with this.

Thanks,

06 MARCH 2019 - SAME DISTANCE POINTS.gh (9.5 KB)

Look into circle packing with kangaroo.

Here’s an example definition that will let you pack circles on a surface
https://github.com/Dan-Piker/Kangaroo-examples/blob/master/collisions_and_packing/CirclePackOnSurface.gh

I downloaded the file but unable to set a distance between distributed points
I guess there should be a way to set the point counts based on a distance of points.

CirclePackOnSurface1.gh (34.2 KB)

The minimum distance between the points will be double the radius, provided they do not overlap.
You can increase gradually the number of points until they fill the surface without overlapping.

There isn’t a way to know exactly in advance how many circles of a given radius will fit on a shape, but you could get a first approximation using the area and expected packing density.
If you didn’t want to adjust it manually this would also be a fairly simple thing to script to add circles until the surface was full.

Thanks for your reply. If I want to explain how the program works, these points represent a column in building and that’s why I need to set a number for the span. Let’s say 5 meters or 3 meters etc. The circle is not important as the shape of column will change to rectangle or triangle but for now is circle.
here is a sketch of what I mean.

can you draw that manually point by point and between every 2 points the same distance ?
i think you will get a triangular grid

1 Like

trigrid.gh (19.1 KB)

because you’re setting radii instead - if you use the example by @DanielPiker, meaning that the diameter of the circle is the length of the line therefore the distance between points.

right, again because they’re simply helpers…
If you use Daniel’s example you can set it up with a second kangaroo solver to make the lines from proximity reach a length after the circle packing, though it isn’t the only way:

Bear in mind that if you change the length number (like at the end of the video) you’ll compromise your distances - keeping it @ 1 helps

1 Like