Using Elgato stream deck keyboard with Rhino

Hi all,
I found in topic about Rhino UI some mention about this keyboard. Can you share your experience with using in Rhino?
I would like to use this device to assign most used commands, e.g. curve primitives, move, rotate, hide, select, offset, extrude.

@seltzdesign - I remember you mentioning Elgato, no?
-Jakob

Hi there! I have a Elgato Stream Deck XL(upgraded from the normal sized one) I absolutely love it. The way I have implemented most commands is simply by creating a text button on the stream deck and then typing in the command:

This works well for single “word” commands, when implementing macros I’ve found that creating an alias for that macro and running that as an alias from the stream deck works better than running long strings of commands directly from the streamdeck.

Some commands that also have a keyboard shortcut I implement by just creating a hotkey on the Stream Deck.

I’ve mostly stolen icons for the stream deck from Rhino toolbar Icons and Noun Project

1 Like

Yes, I am using it as well. I am basically doing what @rheinason is doing, except for now I am doing everything with keyboard shortcuts that I have set up. To be honest I didn’t even think about just triggering the text. Nice idea!

For the icons I also use a library. I really like using these: https://creativemarket.com/raul.taciu/381094-Simple-Line-Icons-Pro or more recently these: https://myicons.co/. Sometimes I just google for an icon and then do the tweaking in Figma.

Just noticed that the Rhino toolbar icons were all created in Xara. I still remember that software (Xara 3d and later Xara X) and it was the first I used and what got me into Graphic Design. So yeah, they have been around a while! :smiley:

2 Likes

I spend a lot of time to make nice icons for the Steam Deck for Rhino an GH out of official sources i found. if anyone is interested just ask via pn.

streamdeck_key (6)
streamdeck_key (52)
streamdeck_key - 2021-02-24T230607.286
streamdeck_key - 2021-02-24T231423.187

3 Likes

Hi guys,

I just got one for myself, however somehow it does not seem to work when Rhino is active… the text is not inserted into the rhino command prompt…

Does anyone have any idea?

you have to set up the options to switch over to the main application you are using in the Stream Deck software. When Rhino is the active widow you will want your Rhino StreamDeck profile to be active and so on.