Unwrap showing curves on surface?

Hi All,

I’m playing with the unwrap tool, I really like the simplicity and results from it on developable surfaces. This might be the way I can get our designers to understand unwrapping without having to deal with the esoteric science and twisted/distorted results of CG packages. Nice work guys!

So now… how do I unwrap curves on surface so I know where we want to locate our textures in model<>flat space? I guess I’m looking for something like what Unroll does: allowing me to pick curves on the surface to be unrolled, but in this case, unwrapped.

Thanks,

G

1 Like

Unless I’m missing something, I don’t see a way to keep the curves with the unwrapped render mesh. However I will file a feature request now for that ability (http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-29159). In the meantime, I would split the surface with the curve and then join the trimmed surface back into the model. When you unwrap, don’t select this trim border as a seam and you’ll be able to see where the curve was.

thanks Brian, this is an acceptable hack, for some cases/some people. I want to elaborate more on our needs and use-case for unwrapping,show examples. Where do I do that? This topic? The feature request one, the ‘red’ forum?

G

Anywhere is fine, you can also email me directly with files and I’ll add them to the You Track item. I’m not sure if you can edit it directly.