Unroll, surface direction?

can someone explain why this happens? i would expect the result would be the “?” surface?

You are much more likely to receive an answer if you post a .3dm file with your geometry. You can drag the file to where you type a post, or use the vertical arrow icon above where you type a post.

1 Like

i deleted the file. it was just a simple exploded box with a text object on the surface i was playing around with the normal direction to compare the results.

Hello -

did you unroll the box as a whole or individual surfaces?

-Pascal

just that individual surface

I am confused… you unrolled multiple times and got different results. or? I am not grokking what to look for…

-Pascal

A quick experiment showed that the UnrollSrf unrolls a surface so that the normal direction points up. Flip the normal direction of a surface, then UnrollSrf it and the opposite side will be p.

The orientation of the unrolled surface depends on the direction of the UV isocurves. The unrolled surface is oriented so that the U direction is generally aligned with the X direction of the CPlane and the V direction is generally aligned with the Y direction of the CPlane.

UnrollSrfExp01.3dm (106.9 KB)

Added: The normal direction can be swapped using the Flip command or the Flip option in the Dir command. The UV directions can be reversed and/or swapped using options in the Dir command.

oh, i’m sorry, i just unrolled the surface with the R with the normal one way and then unrolled the same surface with the normal flipped in the opposite direction. i’m not explaining this right am i? lol

That is a new word for me. Perhaps a generational divide. You can learn something everyday on the Rhino forum.

Heinlein - Stranger in a Strange Land… 1961. Yep, probably generational gap.

Or something else. I think we’re about the same age.

i think i’ve heard it in the context of reviewing code. but it’s more than just looking it over, i think it involves searches like reg ex maybe? i’m talking out of my rear now probably. :wink:

@kleerkoat Did my response above answer your question?

Grok

The word “grok”, coined in the novel, made its way into the English language. In Heinlein’s invented Martian language, “grok” literally means “to drink” and figuratively means “to comprehend”, “to love”, and “to be one with”. The word rapidly became common parlance among science fiction fans, hippies, and later computer programmers[18] and hackers,[19] and has since entered the Oxford English Dictionary .[20]

Ah, no wonder.

-Pascal

2 Likes

yes it did! perfect. thank you. appreciate it.