Unable to split or trim the surface by the curve

It worked before in other models, but this one is challenging. Why I have no clue.
I’m trying to add the male part of the puzzle piece to the unrolled surface at the bottom of the top view, but can’t get the unrolled surface to split:
"Split failed, objects may not intersect or intersections may not split object"
I’ve tried projecting the curve onto the surface, aligning (Top), extruding the curve. Nothing I’ve tried works.
Help!
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvbRThajlgqAhilyj4qU9LU7cbVf

Hi SaucerD - Looks like it’s already split…?

-Pascal

Dunno…When I open the file you posted, that split is already done.

-Pascal

Pascal,Thanks. I tried working with that before. Evidently I had uploaded the wrong file. My dilemma is getting rid of the artifact which resembles a trapezoid in that file and attaching the male part of the puzzle joint. I had experimented with closing the curve to split the surface. I’ll work with the “wrong” file to see if I can join it to the puzzle joint.Thanks again.David

I think I’ve got a handle on it now. I was trying to split using curves when I could have been building a surface inside the curves making up the male part of the puzzle joint by using Surface From Planar Curves and then joining the result to the unrolled surface.
Next is figuring out filleting the curves of a planar surface.

Hi SaucerD - DupBorder the joined up surfaces, fillet that set of curves, then PlanarSrf the results…?

-Pascal

Pascal - I couldn’t get it to work.
Command: _Fillet
Select first curve to fillet ( Radius=0.03125 Join=Yes Trim=Yes ExtendArcsBy=Arc ): [This would be the shoulder of the puzzle joint, the end of the unrolled sfc. I chose polysurface edge in all instances this time. Other attempts I’d use curve, same result]
Select second curve to fillet ( Radius=0.03125 Join=Yes Trim=Yes ExtendArcsBy=Arc ):
Command: _Fillet
Select first curve to fillet ( Radius=0.03125 Join=Yes Trim=Yes ExtendArcsBy=Arc ): [This time the opposite shoulder]
Select second curve to fillet ( Radius=0.03125 Join=Yes Trim=Yes ExtendArcsBy=Arc ):
Command: PlanarSrf
Select planar curves to build surface:
Select planar curves to build surface. Press Enter when done:
Select planar curves to build surface. Press Enter when done:
No faces were made. Curves must form closed planar loops.

I’d get fillet curves on the high or the low side, but no fillets on both sides forming one curve.
Thanks. We’re getting closer. David

I tried it and it all worked for me.

I would guess that you are having problems with duplicate curves. Get rid of any extra curves before running DupBorder and then after get rid of the surface so that the you only have the duplicated border to fillet. That way there will be no opportunity to pick the wrong curve when filleting.
Then be sure to select all the internal holes as well as the outer boundary loop when you run PlanarSrf

1 Like

jim,
Thank you! Worked like a charm!
David