Unable to load DLL 'RhinoLibrary'

EDIT: Found a solution. Original still below to help other noobs like me in the future.

To get this working, I manually modified the .csproj file of my example to include the below “ItemGroup”

<ItemGroup>
    <PackageReference Include="Rhino.Inside">
      <Version>7.0.0</Version>
    </PackageReference>
  </ItemGroup>

I don’t know if manually editing the .csproj file is the correct way to go about this, but my console application is working now. If anyone wants to elaborate more as to contribute to this reference, please do so.

Also a good reference can be found here in docs - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/web-forms/overview/deployment/web-deployment-in-the-enterprise/understanding-the-project-file

Thank you.

-------- Original below line --------

Hey all,

I’m trying to get a console app with RhinoInside integration working. I’m referencing the samples for RhinoInside. Specifically - RhinoInside Github Sample

The above linked sample is working fine when I run it. My own solution which appears to mirror it is however failing. I’m getting this System.DllNotFoundException -

Unhandled Exception: System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'RhinoLibrary': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
   at Rhino.Runtime.InProcess.RhinoCore.InternalStartup(Int32 argc, String[] argv, StartupInfo& info, IntPtr hostWnd)
   at Rhino.Runtime.InProcess.RhinoCore..ctor(String[] args, WindowStyle windowStyle, IntPtr hostWnd)
   at Demo.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\Users\alpha\Documents\scratch\troubleshooting\Demo\Demo\Program.cs:line 26

Both my “Demo” solution (not working) and the sample “Convert” solution (working) look to be identical builds! Below images show left being my failed solution compared against the working convert solution.

1. Why do my references for RhinoInside from the same Nuget package look different in my Demo vs the sample?

2. What is causing the failed DLL load in my application?

I’m completely at a loss here. Any guidance would be amazing. Thank you.

I am getting the same error as you. My solution is to change the working directory of my program:

System.IO.Directory.SetCurrentDirectory (RhinoInside.Resolver.RhinoSystemDirectory);

Now I don’t get the error anymore. know.

Were your reference assembly via Nuget of Rhino Inside coming in the same too? With the many grey icons as opposed to the single blue icon (seem my screenshots for this in original post). Glad you we both got it working!

I’ve tried your solution too. I also get one blue icon and the program starts without an error message.
When I loaded the grasshopper plugin into rhino with:

var pluginObject = Rhino.RhinoApp.GetPlugInObject (“Grasshopper”) as Grasshopper.Plugin.GH_RhinoScriptInterface;

I got an error again:

I found out that the Rhino.inside nuget package uses a different (older) grasshopper.dll,RhinoCommon.dll version than the version installed on my computer.
That’s why I downloaded the Rhino.Inside project from Github and added (RhinoInside.dll) it to my project.

I also made the following adjustments:

1. The RhinoInside.Resolver.Initialize (); put in a static constructor.
    afbeelding
  2. Furthermore, the rhinoCommon.dll should not be present in your program root folder. This is achieved by setting the Copy local setting to false.
    afbeelding

With these adjustments I can use my current installation of rhino and grasshopper. It is also no longer necessary to edit your project file with the package reference.
It is also no longer necessary to adjust the work directory.

1 Like

Thank you! Setting Local Copy to False for RhinoCommon worked for me.

1 Like

@clayton.krause
saved my day, thanks