Python Level 1 Online Course: May 15-17, 2023
Python Level 2 Online Course: June 5-7, 2023
10 am-5 pm CEST
Tutor: Long Nguyen
Host: McNeel Europe (Barcelona)
Python is a modern programming language with a simple and clean syntax (the rules for writing codes) making it very accessible to beginners in both the language and programming. It is also backed by one of the most active communities of users and developers. These have made Python arguably the most popular programming language now. Python is used in many different fields: 3D modeling, web programming, scientific computing, engineering, artificial intelligence, etc.
Thanks to Rhino and Grasshopper’s official support of Python, you can programmatically access its powerful 3D modeling environment, including all the essential features of its advanced NURBS engine. This opens many exciting new possibilities, ranging from very simple to highly sophisticated, such as:
- Building simple scripts and tools that automate repetitive modeling tasks, boosting efficiency
- Developing and customizing powerful tools and workflow specific to your team’s needs
- Programming advanced design algorithms that are not possible with standard out-of-the-box tools
- Interfacing Rhino and Grasshopper with other software programs or programming libraries
We are happy to offer the upcoming training courses in Python Programming for Rhino/Grasshopper.
Level 1 online course:(Requires a basic understanding of Rhino and Grasshopper, but no prior experience in programming)
- Basic Python language concepts such as variables, data types, conditional statements, for loops, functions, lists, tuples, etc.
- Using the Python scripting component in Grasshopper
- Intro to basic RhinoCommon data types such as point3D, Vector3D, Plane, Line, Circle, and Colors
- Generating and using random numbers
- Understanding the basics of the RhinoCommon documentation.
- Interacting with Rhino environment: e.g., baking geometries, working with Rhino object’s properties (e.g., layers, name, etc.), saving and opening files programmatically
Level 2 online course:(Requires basic knowledge of Python programming in Rhino/Grasshopper, equivalent to the Level 1 course)
- Getting deeper into RhinoCommon geometries: Curves, Surfaces, Breps, Meshes (including mesh topology), Camera
- Object-oriented programming and better understanding of the RhinoCommon documentation
- Using the Python script component together with the Grasshopper timer for interesting advanced use cases
- Using Grasshopper DataTree from Python
- Best practices for organizing code for better reusability and shareability
- Using external modules/libraries
- Parallel Computation
- R-Tree for speeding up many computational geometry tasks
- Recursion and fractal geometries
- Web requests using Python
- Using an external Python code editor (to increase productivity on large programs)
Online course fees: EUR 395,- (+VAT); full-time students and university teachers get a 50% discount (proof of status required). Please note that we will confirm your seat after your payment has cleared.
Max. number of participants: 25. If there is no quorum, the course will be canceled two weeks before.
Course language: English
Educational seats are limited. Sign up now by contacting McNeel Europe!
Posted Apr 11, 2023 by Verena Vogler on Rhino News, etc.