Trying to Get Started With Using Grasshopper To Do 3D Printing. Need Help Please

grasshopper
unhandled

(Jliname1) #1

Would like some advice and/or someone to point me in a good direction to start learning and/or using Grasshopper to do slicing for 3d printed parts. Any advice or pointing in a good direction would be very helpful.

Why do you have in mind of using GH for 3d printing? Rhino can do slicing model too.
If you can do modeling in Rhino and the final model is a watertight,solid, then you’ll be ready to 3d print…

(Jliname1) #3

I’m trying to use grasshopper to generate curved layer printing for my 5 axis printer I’m using for my research. The printer is a 4 axis setup that is modified for 5 axis, and will be able to print in arbitrary paths in space. I am hoping to use grasshopper to setup the algorithms to do this and would like some starting points for doing 3D printing within grasshopper because I am new to the Software. I have gone through plenty of basic starter tutorials but now I’m looking for stuff more specific.

Do I understand it correctly if you want to the create machine code in grasshopper which can be used to run a 3D printer?

Check out silkworm https://projectsilkworm.com/ and xylinus http://www.food4rhino.com/app/xylinus-novel-control-3d-printing. I didn’t test these myself so I don’t know how well they work, but it could be an easy way to get you started.

(Jliname1) #6

No I don’t know if this is exactly what I’m trying to do but I will look into those further. Thanks! To try and give more info: The “robot” we are using has a software package that takes in a set sequence of points and base information and allows us to print objects in this way. So what I’m trying to figure out is to use grasshopper to slice parts and objects and export specific information like: points, normal’s to curves at these points and things of this nature. To be more specific we are trying to use grasshopper to develop the base algorithms to create and generate the paths that we will be printing and instead of reinventing the wheel so to speak I was hoping that there was some information on stuff similar to this. Whether it is for a generation of planer 3D printing or if it is curved printing in particular. I hope this gives a better incite to what we are trying to do here.

What kind of a 3D-printer are you talking about? Does it have more than 3 Axes? Why do you need the normals?

(Keyu Gan) #8

I think you can check documents related to robotic arms because they have similar degrees of freedom

(Jliname1) #9

Yes it is more then 3 axes it has 3 translation axes and 2 rotation axes at the extruder head. I don’t see how the type of printer matters, its a modified setup that we have redesigned a lot. And the software for the printer itself only need input for the translation and rotation degrees of freedom. But the reason for wanting to get the normal is for determining the orientation of the two rotation degrees of freedom to point the extruder head in the proper direction. Basically so I can setup an algorithm to denote point and rotation for the “robot”. With all of that said I do not need you guys to tell me exactly how to do all of this. I am only looking for somewhere to start. I would like to look at some other algorithms if anyone know of any? I want to know if there is any documentation at all about 3d printing using grasshopper in general. I’m sure I can use the information from this type of documentation.

(Jliname1) #10

Yes I agree for the manipulation and relating the movement i desire with the robot I do agree but I am more interested in finding some sort of documentation on slicing 3d printed parts using Grasshopper. The math and manipulation of the actual robot is different.