Trying simple tensile soap skin

I’m trying to make simple tensile soap skin between a circle and a rectangle but not getting final result. No value combination of strength and length for edge lengths component give desirable output, and only a crumpled geometry comes out.

Kindly advise.

TENSILE SOAP SKIN_SQUARE, CIRCLE.gh (14.6 KB)

The rest length factor should be less than 1 for it to be in tension.
Then to resist this pulling in you need something to resist at the boundary.
The simplest way to do this is to anchor the naked vertices
TENSILE SOAP SKIN_SQUARE, CIRCLE.gh (37.1 KB)

1 Like

Okay. Thanks. How can I add more tension to the curvature (yellow lined marks) as seen in the screenshot?

Another query. The length of each of the triangular edge is originally 10 units (measured in Rhino). The length factor here is 0.1. So this means we are aiming at a target length of 0.1 x 10 = 1 unit?

relax_circle_quad.gh (21.9 KB)
To be able to control the shape more it helps to start from a structured quad mesh like this.
Then you can sort the edges into warp and weft directions and adjust their relative strengths to control the shape.
…and yes - if the start length is 10 and the LengthFactor is 0.1, the target length is 1.

3 Likes

Thank you. The script is quite complex to understand. I will post my queries once I break down different functions and connections.

Not so simple. To my mind, the phrase “simple tensile soap skin” is self-contradictory. My alarm bells go off any time I read the word “simple” in a thread title or description.

This is simple but I have no clue how to do it.

Sure.

It’s easy when you know how but there are a million ways to screw it up.

That mantra can be applied to many things in life, not just GH definitions.

1 Like