Trimmed Surface to Mesh

Hi all,

I am trying to convert this trimmed surface to mesh so that I can manipulate the wires. Essentially, I am trying to make the meshes to be a mix of quad and triangular mesh, similar to this example @djordje posted way back:
mesh face example

This is the surface:

I tried Mesh Surface component but got all the square meshes going outside the boundaries of the surface:

I tried the Mesh Split component but got all the weird meshes around the edges:

Appreciate your help!
surface to mesh.gh (52.7 KB)

What results are you expecting here. This is how this mesh would be made, if you want quads try quad remesh.

Michael,

I wanted the meshes around the edges to be simple trapezoids or triangles like these:

these meshes shouldn’t have the cross wires (marked X in the screenshot).

There are a couple quad mesh components, can you specify which one? I tried the quadrangulate component and managed to reduce some undesired triangular meshes but it was no where as clean as this example:
mesh face example

The one called Quad Remesh (In Rhino 7), @martinsiegrist just showed you above.
And so you understand your shapes are not as simple as the one you are referencing. So you need to quad remesh.

1 Like

Thanks Martin and Michael,

Is is possible to remesh the surface into something like this?

In plan view, the wires should be parallel to each other and run only in 2 directions.

If you trim a quad grid with a curve, even straightening the edges along the trim, generally you don’t get just quads and triangles, but also pentagons as you show in your sketch

What do you want to do with the grid after you trim it?
If you just need the curves, then you can trim these instead of the mesh

Daniel,

Yes, pentagons would be fine as well, as long as the wires only run in 2 directions. the only wires that can be of any directions are the naked edges of the surface.

I want to extract the curves to model structural supports for the surface; then maybe even subdivide the individual mesh face into smaller meshes.

You can trim the edges like this:
trimcurves.gh (48.6 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks, Daniel,

I ended up just creating perpendicular lines and projected them onto the surface. Appreciate the help!