Three size of tiles in a grid

Hi,

I´m trying to fill a grid with 3 different sizes of tiles. The tile width will be the same as the grids panel width, but the tile height can be either 0.5, 1.0 or 1,5 of the grids panel height. I want to control the grid size and the amount of the two largest tiles. X amount of the smallest tiles would fill in the remaining grid space. Location of the tiles on the grid would be random.

Hard to explain, attached is a picture of what I´m trying to achieve.

There might be a really easy solution to this, but I don´t really know how to continue after having the grid made. All suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

1 Like

This could be a way.

Three size of tiles in a grid_re.gh (12.6 KB)

4 Likes

You made my day. This looks exactly like what I have been trying to achieve. Now I’ll have a close look how you did it. Thanks!

Now exactly what you want, I made that some time ago, it was not so fast but worked.

And if you want not the same color touching an edge, you can use my nColor script

And for the record I forget this one I did some time ago. I had to change one line of code because it doesnt allowed having just one width !

grid_subdivision.gh (17.1 KB)

1 Like

Wow, thats a lot of scripts - will definitely have a look at these! Thanks!

Awesome Script @laurent_delrieu, i’m looking to do something similar but on a 3-dimensional surface. I’ve trawled through a fair few threads on here but all of them seem to be setup from a base grid, the closest thing i’ve found is this old example: MADEinCALIFORNIA ///Co.De.: Uneven Subdivision 01_Co-de-iT/////////////////////////

i’ve tried my best to update it with new components but doesn’t seem to give me a clean result (too many surfaces) Uneven Subdivision_Co-de-iT_GH08004 updated.gh (36.9 KB)

This random tiling is the result i’m looking to achieve:

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

If you have a surface parameterized with UV [0, 1] there is no problem to use my script.

2 Likes

works like a charm, Thank you!

This worked great for me, thanks! One question, I was able to get your script to do “1,2,3”, “2,4,6”, “3,6,9” etc by using rectangular grid instead of square grid, but you’ll notice those patterns are each divisible by the first number. Is there a way to make it take any panel size, for example “2, 5, 9”?
I can tell its the edges with “remainders” that are confusing it because sometimes the edge condition is not within the selected panel sizes.