Thicken - surface to solid?

my CAD program has a “thicken” command that converts a surface to a solid, great for doing tubing/pipe in 3D. does Rhino 7 have anything equivalent and if so where do I find the syntax??

Art

Hi Art - OffsetSrf > Solid=Yes.

-Pascal

Pascal-

thanks for your quick reply!!
how do I communicate how thick to make the solid? imagine the object to operate on is a tubular surface in 3D.
I type “OffsetSrv” and enter
I select the object (arrows are pointed inward the desired direction)
now what??

Art

The Distance= sets the offset distance and thus the thickness.

David-

thanks! didn’t realize I was supposed to enter inputs in the provided line of text and was attempting to type in the next command line… da

given two adjacent solid objects, how do I join/merge/fuse the two objects into one? my CAD experience is proving a poor training ground for “verbs” Rhino’s help function recognizes

Art

Hi Art - can you post an example?

-Pascal

Probably with BooleanUnion… You might want to start with some tutorials, and the Rhino User’s Guide…

https://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/6/usersguide/en-us/index.htm

Pascal-

the attached screen image shows seven (7) solid objects that were “thickened” from surfaces using OffsetSrf; all with different ID’s and OD’s and all originating from a common collection of joined arcs and lines. the objective is to join them into a single solid object.

Art

Do the tubes overlap, or is the OD circle at the end of the inner tube coincident with the ID circle of the outer tube? In the first case I think it should be possible to boolean adjacent pairs sequentially. In the second case I’m not so sure. If you included your 3dm file for this example people could play with it to come up with suggestions. Just drag and drop the 3dm into your post or use the upload link at the top of your post editing window.

I might as well chime in . There is also pipe command. Might read up or watch learning videos on pipe.—-Mark
I forgot about sweep 1 and cap.

the tubes overlap 0.00375" (radial). exterior fillets (aka: welds) are the next order of business once I have a single solid at which point I should have reasonably accurate estimates for volume/weight and mass properties. the 3dm file is attached

Art
stepped primary tube.3dm (1.6 MB)

boolean2objects does the trick; now one solid object!! two of the cross section construction planes were not exactly normal with predictable impact on gap between the two objects. thanks for your help. “boolean” isn’t a verb I would have thought to check Help on in a million years; poor CAD training…

Art