Texture Mapping in Rhino 7

Hi All!

I posted a video on texture mapping in Rhino 7. This video covers the world coordinate system method, basic primitive types like box or plane projections and also custom unwraps.

34 Likes

@BrianJ

Great tutorial Brian cleared a few mysteries for me like the channels and unwrapping.
I really enjoyed your teaching style and calm approach.
Thanks and hope you post more of these in the future, liked your past tutorials as well but this one was really needed.
RM

1 Like

Thanks, please let me know if there’s any other mystery area that you think would be good to cover in another video. :slight_smile:

Hi @ Brian,

I would like a tutorial on unwrapping a dodecahedron.
What I’ve found is that not all textures can be used like a screen or grate material because they’re not designed to line up, the seams never properly match.

Show how to unwrap the dodecahedron for a common seamless texture like concrete.
Show how to unwrap so we can take the texture into Photoshop and paint on the texture map and re-import it to get all the seams lining up for rendering.
In the unwrapping do we cut one seam or use all the seams?

Do a head tutorial on unwrapping head or a hand and show how to get it unwrapped so we can paint the map in PS. (The mesh hint you made was pretty cool about not having the bottom surface, but on a hand or glove we need that.)

Do a tutorial on using Environment maps and the different mapping types and when to use those.

I’ve attached my dodecahedron model with my crappy attempt at unwrapping as an exercise to your tutorial when I finally realized you really can’t line up that texture.

Thanks I know you guys are busy; I don’t want to do more harm to the McNeel ecosystem so if you can get to any of this I think users will benefit from it.

RM
DodecahedronUnwrap.3dm (2.6 MB)

@3dsynergy Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Check out this old video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhmDp1_rXGk for your dodecahedron case, I show the unwrap pattern for the fewest seams at 4:05. Either that or using WCS (non-box style) would be my suggestion here. Textures being four sided won’t ever line up with pentagonal faces at all edges in my opinion. I think you’d need to paint a custom texture to make the seams less noticeable but unfortunately at this time Rhino doesn’t have any tools for 3D painting to UV space… I filed the request years ago as RH-47127 but it’s not high on the priority list. You can paint to UV space in most poly modeling animation apps though and there are some standalone apps too if you do a lot of this work and need that ability. With all that said, painting a linear texture like a grate on something like the dodecahedron will require decision making on where to deform the pattern. Personally I’d think about how this would be made in reality and model in some physical frame edges for the sections that would be continuous grate texture. Then the mapping will make more sense I think.

BTW, this is possible now, just save over the image texture in PS and Rhino will auto update the result.

HI @BrianJ
Excellent this was some of the information I was looking for thanks for posting that link. I really don’t care about the model so much I thought it might be a good object to try uv mapping and unwrapping due to it’s odd complexity and the fact one cannot use any texture.

Love that you requested some 3dpaint tools. Yes the fact that one can’t was something worth learning, now I have a better understanding of these shapes.

Thanks for your hard work on making Rhino better and for your tutorials.
RM

1 Like

Thank for useful tutorial @BrianJ

1 Like

Every day I learn stuff… awesome job @BrianJ

thanks for clearing up one of the more mysterious aspects of rhino-

1 Like

Thank you so much.Your inputs are always so useful. Always amazed at how intricate Rhino has become. I’ve tried to use texture mapping, unsuccessfully, to create a printable 3d ring, following your older video, “Displacement in Rhino 5” . I know there are simpler methods to create this kind of pattern ( ex: doing it in Zbrush) but I want to learn to do this through textures I create, maybe in Filter Forge plugin in Photoshop. Please, it would be great to have a video going through this process on something simple like this ring jpeg

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, I’ll do something new for displacement soon. :slight_smile:

Brian, I’d like to lay down the challenge to you to make a displacement texture from objects in Rhino using the ZBuffer (to create a heightmap), make into a tileable texture and then apply that to your object for 3D relief! :grinning:

I added a Zbuffer set up trick for texture creation to the end of this video… Displacement in Rhino 7 - YouTube

1 Like

This was an epic tutorial! So useful!

1 Like