Switch block instance

Hi all,

I guess it might be a basic query: if I have created one block of open window and another block of closed window. Is there an easy way for me to just switch between this 2 blocks? So I can easily turn an open window to closed.
The reason why I don’t use layer to achieve it because I want to have some windows open while some are closed.
Do I need to do it via a plug-in? Or via python script or even just a rhino command can do?

Thank you in advance.

Jack

Hi Jack - use ReplaceBlock I think, for what you want.

-Pascal

Thanks pascal.

I have a further query: I realize when you scale it outside the block, you will not be able the open and modify the block anymore…
My case is that I have hundred thousands of straight timber sticks with different length.
I will use block to reduce the file size, but problem is, the sticks length varies…
Is there a way to use block to resolve it?

Thanks,

Jack

Currently Rhino will not allow to directly edit the blocks if you scale them in non-uniform way.
But that does not mean you can’t edit the block instance. A simple work-around is to insert a new instance that is uniformly scaled, edit that one. It will update all other non-uniform instances…

hth,

–jarek

Hi Jarek,
Thanks for your reply. But I am not clear what do you mean ‘insert’… Do you mean to copy & paste from other rhino file? Or use some kind of command like ‘insertblock’? But I cannot find such a command.
Appreciate if you can explain a little bit more specific.

Thanks,

Jack

Hi Jack - if you run Insert, you can insert a copy of any existing block or an external file.

-Pascal

Hi Jack, what @Pascal said - if you do that, you can directly edit the non-transformed copy and all your other instances will update accordingly.

–jarek