Sweep2 Solution found

This topic is a lengthy discussion about a problem I encountered with the Sweep2 component in GH Ver. 1.0.004. The strange result I got using the same basic GH code I used in earlier versions was both quite peculiar and confusing. But after fussing with different approaches I finally came up with one that worked:

The key to success (I think) is creating a sweep arc that spans the widest point between the 2 rail curves, and is also perpendicular to the 2 curves. Doing this is actually easy - just run the 2 curves through the Point on Curve component and vary it’s value so the 2 points end up on the rail curves at their widest point of separation. The attached GH file shows how I did this.

I don’t know how general this solution is, but I have retrofitted it on a couple of older GH files I have and it works OK.

PS: the new version of the Point on Curve component doesn’t seem to be editable except by sliding the thumb. It would be nice if double-clicking it allowed any desired value to be entered.

Sweep2Bug-bb3.gh (22.6 KB)

PS: the new version of the Point on Curve component doesn’t seem to be editable except by sliding the thumb. It would be nice if double-clicking it allowed any desired value to be entered.

That’s called the “Evaluate Length” component with Normalized set to true (which it is by default)

Solution? The sweep doesn’t follow the rails in Rhino 5, GH 0.9. New thread?

Seems now the problem is reversed :smiley:

Hi Joseph - the only thing I can think of is that there is a very mysterious difference between GH 0.9 and GH 1.0 relative to how Sweep2 works. None of this makes any sense to me at all.

Reversed indeed. Most vexing for sure.