Surfaces on Turner's cube

My project is to make a parametric Turner’s cube.

How to get the bases of the holes (cylinders) surfaced and rotated to complete the cube?

Will the intersections between holes show through properly?<a class=“attachment”

href=“https://global.discourse-cdn.com/mcneel/uploads/default/original/3X/0/6/067e2ecc384e68532b05b7ae18826b2af667c7b9.gh”>TCubeCylinder3.gh (24.6 KB)

cube 3

Thanks in advance for any help…

Here is a way of doing using shapes from LunchBox

and Anemone in order to cut one hole at a time.

It also work for all types of solid with planar face and not too far from sphere (I hope ):slight_smile:

See the magic of consecutive cut. Not very good with GIF animation
turner cube LD.gh (29.1 KB)

3 Likes

Laurent, this site is a great place to learn from the masters!
I always know somebody is going to post some solution far better than mine, but still I do it for the practice!
and since I already did it, I’m posting it! :slight_smile:

In my model I assumed the inner cubes have the biggest possible size to still be detached after milling.
TurnersCube.gh (16.0 KB)

1 Like

Hi Laurent,

Thanks for the great definition. I had Lunchbox, and I’ve downloaded Hoopsnake, and loaded it up. Also updated to the latest Grasshopper.

Unfortunately I’ve got nothing connected to the ‘reverse’ component at the top middle, and a gap where the ‘brep closest point’ should be. My BCP component has only two outputs P & D, perhaps this is the problem?

Best regards,
Charles Thompson.

The problem is that I use rhino 6 and GH 1. Brep closest point has been updated with a normal also. It is possible to calculate the normal as a vector from center of mass to center of face.
V5 version
turner cube LD v5.gh (25.0 KB)

Sometimes some cut problem, but as you have all the tools (cylinder) you could try the cut in Rhino.

3 Likes

Hi Aris,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and I really like cluster boxes - not seen those before, makes everything nice and tidy. Where do you find them?

I’m hoping to be able to learn from, and adapt a subset of your definition to achieve my ultimate objective of producing a toolpath for a Kuka robot via Kuka PRC. I’ve made some three and four hole cubes before with a smaller robot, but that was with manual programming.

It’s going to take me a while so probably a good project to tackle over the Christmas period…

yes, clusters are very useful, (you just select all the components you want to put inside, right click and select cluster.)
Not for this specific example though. Laurent’s solution is far better because you can interactivelly change the number of iterations instead of adding or substracting components. (also you get to practice with anemone which is a great plugin and I also just learned about)

Hi Laurent,
Sorry to be a pest but as you’ve gathered I’m pretty much a beginner, and have very limited math.
Vector is sorted (thank you) and I’ve now got Anenome, but there’s something you have labeled as ‘incremental cut’ missing in the last group at the end of the definition…
Best regards, Charles.

I don’t understand.
If it is not working click on dam component
Calculation will begin

Sorry Laurent,

I should have attached this screen shot showing the unhappy solid difference component:

Is it something I have done wrong?

If there is no data in the [A] input of the component, then it won’t do anything.

You have not hoopsnake component
Wrong I was. You need anemone.plugin ?:astonished:

Download it and reopen the file here on this forum

Thanks Laurent,
That’s all working now and I really like it!
One day I might even understand it…