Subds stuck in reflect/cannot ungroup - cannot choose only one of two mirrored subds?

Hi,

First post here. I have enjoyed using the subds in Rhino 7 for a while now (and just updated to 7.3). I am working on two rings and worked with the reflect command … however now the pairs of subds on each side og my central ring seems to be stuck in reflect-mode? I am unable to get them to be un-reflected… please help.

Best wishes,

Søren

Hi
Did you try Right Click the Reflect button ?

Akash

Hi Akash,

I have tried without luck. Honestly I am not sure if reflect is the problem. When I choose a subd on one side of the ring (central subd) the mirror subd is also chosen. And Rhino tells me I have “1 open subd added to selection”. They are not in a group (I have un-grouped and un-reflected …). I worked on the file without problems before updating Rhino today to 7.3 … so perhaps thats part of the problem? I would love to upload the file (but it seems I cannot do that yet).

Best wishes,

Søren

When you run Reflect to make a symmetrical SubD and then run Reflect and select that symmetrical SubD and choose the “RemoveExistingReflectSymmetry” option, you are left with a SubD of the same symmetrical shape but without the property of staying symmetrical when you edit one side.

There are not two SubDs.
If the original SubD didn’t intersect the reflection plane, the result will be disjoint and will look like 2 SubDs, but it is really a single disjoint SubD.
Is that what you’re seeing?

1 Like

Hi Lowell,

Thank you very much - that’s it! Is there a way to cut the single disjoint SubD into two SubDs? I am unable to use Trim on the central ring/subd with the single disjoint SubD.

Best wishes,

Søren

Hi @niedziella
Use _ExtractSrf with Copy=No option and select one of the “copies”.
HTH, Jakob

The right click macro on the Reflect icon changed and you may need to run ToolbarReset for that to work.

@niedziella - Maybe the easy, crude way of doing it is make a copy inplace and sub-object select (CTRL-SHIFT-Window) and delete the faces from one side of the copy and the other side of the original.