Subdivision patch/fill surface issue

Hi

I’m trying to replicate the form below labeled “reference” using the sweep rail subdivision tool for the back. The sweep works fine, except when trying “patch” the ends with the “fill subd hole” command, it doesn’t seem to work. As for the cushion part is there a way to extrude a profile into a subdivision model? I trying using the “sub d loft command” again had trouble patching the ends.

Does anyone have suggestions on best method for creating these forms?

Hi Phillip - the Cap command should work here.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal.

Thanks for your reply. That seemed to work to some degree, but the mesh grid ends up a distorted. Do you think there is a way to extrude the profile curve of the bottom cushion (as pictured on the right side) as a polysurface and then create some kind mesh that has control points to slightly alter the shape into more of a cushion?

Capped result below.

Hi Phillip - you’ll want to set the Crease command line option to Yes to get the result I think you are after.

-Pascal

I’m close!

The only thing is how can I can create a normal grid structure pattern on the top that correlates with the front face?

Best,Phillip

Hi @phillip.jividen
Here’s one way of doing the subd layout. The complexity depends on the just how close to true arcs you want the shape to be - I’ve opted for sort of “middle ground”. I’m also attaching a version of a polygon table, which is handy when doing this sort of patch layouts.

subd patch layout.3dm (449.4 KB)
HTH, Jakob

5 Likes

Oh, and if you haven’t already, be sure to watch the great Sub-d tutorials by @theoutside on Youtube :slight_smile:
-Jakob

1 Like

perfect!!

@Normand Thanks! Can I ask how you made the mesh grid on the top to match the front face?

From my result. I’m able to figure how to create the mesh on the front via sub d loft and adding segments but when capping the mesh the top becomes triangulated.

Best,

Phillip

Hi @phillip.jividen
The cap was made manually by ExtrudeSubD and using 3dface and Stitch. I’ll see if I can find the time tomorrow to make a quick video of how I approached this.
-Jakob

Hi again @phillip.jividen
I forgot to mention subdloft as one of the commands used as well. Here’s a really quick video of how it can be done. As always, there’s many different ways to skin the cat/Rhino! I’m not even sure if this layout is an exact match to the one I posted, but hopefully you’ll get the idea :grimacing:
I use keyboardshortcuts, so pay attention to the command prompt, as I rarely touch the icons - sorry. If there’s anything that’s hard to understand, don’t hesitate to ask! :slight_smile:

-Jakob

5 Likes

And here’s a more “radial” approach :slight_smile:

-Jakob

2 Likes

both solutions are fantastic!

well done Jakob!!

1 Like

@Normand :ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand: great!

1 Like

@Normand @theoutside Touching back on this piece. Is it possible to make folds like shown in the image below? Or would it be better to attempt in zbrush?

folds

Best,

Phillip

Possible? Yes indeed. Practical? Well… maybe not so much :grimacing: It really depends on why you need them. Is it for visualization? Go with either bump or displacement mapping instead. Is it for 3D printing (and that level of details is really needed), it can be done with subd, but if you already use/know Zbrush, I’d probably stick with that.
My 2c :grinning:
-Jakob

@Normand - thanks for sharing the nice workflows.

@theoutside
on windows gumball-Scale + shift + ctrl becomes _extrudeSubD
on mac ctrl + left mouse = right mouse button.
how to do the workflow on a mac ?- you show here (at 86 sec… link points to timestamp)

(workarround, use _extrudeSubD)
thanks

shift command on a mac

are you talking the seam piping or the surface variation in the cushions themselves?

@theoutside the surface variation