Subdivision patch/fill surface issue

thanks for your answer - but doesn’t work here:

(at least not on my macbook Pro 2019, Mac os X 10.15.7, using an external logitech 3 button mouse)

with cmd + shift + LMB on the scale-rectangle i get a gumball-handle-resize

(with option + shift + LMB i get a duplicate Edge)
(any combination with ctrl will manipulate the view)

???

thanks again - kind regards -tom

Hi @Tom_P ,

There is a release of the Shift and Cmd keys after the initial sub-object selection. The Gumball (GB) will still be displayed for the selected sub-object and at that point you can start moving or scaling the selection with a handle on the GB with no keyboard modifiers held down. Then with the LMB still depressed, you can press Shift again to scale uniformly and/or Cmd again to create an extrusion.

If you hold Cmd prior to click and drag on a GB handle, you’ll be “relocating” the GB or the individual handle. So it’s the order in which you hold the keyboard modifiers that dictate what happens.

The fancy trick Kyle did at the end with a scale and extrusion using the GB was… Cmd+Shift double click the outer SubD edgeloop > Release Cmd+Shift > Mouse over the 2 axis handle (i.e. ‘waffle’) > Hold Shift to enable 2 axis scale > Click and drag > Hold Cmd to also create an extrusion while scaling.

I hope that helps.

2 Likes

Hi @phillip.jividen
Here’s an example done with displacement (as displacement channel in a PBR material). It’s a simple disp. map that I’ve used a coule of times for similar furniture related things. If this is something you do regularly, it’s probably worth the effort to make a better one!

HTH, Jakob

ok - works. THANKS
important is the difference between hotkey before mouse-click and hotkey after mouse-click

this video show s the hotkeys:
(sorry the screenrecorder updates only, when mouse moves … but the video should show the right order for mac users) - (my students will hate this workflow - i bet it will not be teached in 3 minutes ;-( )

scale-extrude SubD- with Gumball

on a mac:

1 Like

Exactly and this technique can be used as a bump or a displacement or both, which gets back to your point about what the end goal is for the effect. I’d add that you can only extract the displaced mesh if you do it as an object property instead of in the PBR.

You can use a procedural Noise texture tiled like this for wrinkles too…

I teach this sub-object modeling workflow too… once they get it, they fly :slight_smile:

@Normand @theoutside

So Ive gotten closer to figuring out some the basics of “sculpting” the sub dplane into profiles with this chaise version. But I’m still having issues creating a proper closed mesh with the cap function - it distorts the mesh grid when closing the ends of the back cushion and the underside of the bottom seat cushion. Im wanting to have the grid lines to be matched /co-linear top and bottom

First image is the verison via cage edit modeled
the following is the sub d attempts - for making a more softer cushion model

Is there something I’m missing here? :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

wayyy too many faces, and your bottom topology is a mess…

The Bottom of the model should be as organized as the rest of the model.

watch this video

I’ve deleted the webs and have attempted to re-grid using the insert point mesh point/sub d tool, however it doesn’t seem to lineup with the corresponding grid lines above.

you would want to add the edges in box mode and stitch them together to the existing edges, you need to add all the edges in order get a clean result.

please post the file

File uploaded
Chaise lounge.3dm (145.4 KB)

try this

remember, build your model like you would if you were making it out of nothing but postit notes.

Chaise lounge_kfix.3dm (202.7 KB)

Thanks Kyle… I saw from a previous video it’s possible that I could just reflect half the bottom cushion instead the sitch method. Are you able to show a screenshot or clip of how you stitched the back cushion opening?

image ref below

add edges down the back to match the front, then bridge the open edges together-

typically speaking you want your edges to flow all the way thru the model and create closed loops.

@theoutside Sorry to ask, but which tool is used to add edges across?

Great solution! Thanks!!

@theoutside Nevermind… I realized it was it adding the insert edge loops on the backside to create the divisional panels then bridge

Don’t be sorry-
You can also add points to create edges.