Subdivision Modeling

there is a sub selection toggle-
toggle

1 Like

Thanks I was not aware of that button :slight_smile:

Thanks Kyle.
I found that the ExtractControlPolygon worked perfectly for me. Nice to know there’s another route.

1 Like

Hey Sochin,

There are 2 things that I miss from the old V5+TSplines.
1 - The ability to use curvature analysis and curvature graph on subD (I know McNeel are working on this, or at least on the wish pile). I like to use the VSR plugin for these, but I’d b way happier if I could just stay in V7, as it’s a much nicer Rhino to work in.
2 - and the tsPull command. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’ve not found a reasonable facsimile in V7.

Cheers,
Ernest

1 Like

have you seen this?

2 Likes

Yup.

Thank you to everyone for the comments. I use the symmetry features in t-splines a lot especially the ability to create quad symmetry. I also use the Retopology feature to build objects around/off organic shapes a lot. tsPull is also another I use often.

Like Kyle said I should have a look at it again. My main concern is… and I am guessing like many of you also… is that I have a very structured workflow in t-splines and creating a new one is a commitment. Flipping between version of Rhino I really do not want to do so if I move I need to be able to do everything that I currently do in V5 with t-splines.

Thanks again for the feedback. I do not come in here very often anymore since I am still using V5 but this forum was a great place for me as I learnt Rhino to do what I want to do in Rhino. Great community here.

cheers,
Sochin.

check out this one too-

Hi @martinsiegrist , yes I love that feature. I have alias set up with e, o and v to toggle between the 3 selection modes.

I assume you would be able to do similar with the native subD. I do not use the T-splines hotkeys…I prefer the alias route as I use many for Rhino actions as well and prefer one method.

@theoutside yep I use that a lot but that looks much more responsive than the old t-splines in rhino 5 :slight_smile:

One thing that I also really would like to be able to do in t-splines that I cannot is use Rhino history (that I know of). Does the history command work with the Rhino sub-d objects?

I often work on the flat and flow to the form I want. It would be great to be able to update the flown form by modifying the planar one using history…if that makes sense? I often do not explain things well sorry.

Also a very long time ago I used to do Flash development and used a feature in Flash like blocks in Rhino…I think I have that term right…let me know if not. The idea is you create a master object and then reuse that object. Update the master/original and every instance of it updates…sorry I get the terminology wrong all the time. Hopefully you can understand.

From memory when I tried blocks with t-splines objects many years ago it was not possible. Does Rhino sub-d work with blocks?

One final thing before I hit the work bench…is there a list of current sub-d features that a person like myself can view rather than annoying the forum with basic queries that may have been made many times before. It has been a long time since I looked at Rhino subD.

cheers,
Sochin

The great tools I do miss are the retopologizing tools with soft and hard edits, the magnet distance settings and the tangent handles on the ends of the surfaces.
Rudy

1 Like

yes you can flow a subd with history and get a subd result.

yes you can make a block out of a subd part.

There is not a full list of subd features that I know of, but I used to be the tech and demo monkey for Tsplines… and I prefer Rhino Subd. It’s much more stable and very difficult to break your models. There are no star point issues and the speed compared to tsplines is better IMO.

the only thing I miss is tsplines had a better retopo tool, (but I’m working on trying to get that improved)

quadremesh however is awesome and somewhat makes up for a the lack of a good retopo workflow. (we do have a retopo workflow, it’s just not amazing)

if you need retopo, grab topogun… it’s incredible and very cheap.

grab the trial and give it ago! Check our you tube page for lots of videos to help you learn. V7 has so many improvements over v5, you’ll love it-

1 Like

@theoutside Thank you…those features will be really useful.

I remember your name from t-splines …maybe from the old forums or perhaps from a video tutorial/tutorials I watched. tSplines and Rhino 5 have been a great tool for me. A video by Sky Greenawalt way back really opened my eyes up to T-splines.

Thank you for the tip re topogun. I generally use retopo to create new objects rather than copy old ones. When I cannot use flow effectively I create an organic shape from which to create more complicated ones off using the retopo snaps.

Offsetting a base surface and changing which I snap to by hiding I use to create items with thickness when the tsThicken tool is not precise enough for me. Hard to explain but it just works for me.

I will leave now before I start sounding like someone asking why my boolean union failed to all of you that are up to date in native subD in Rhino.

cheers,
Sochin

1 Like

Of course. Brilliant!
Thanks