String Autocomplete

i am wondering when and actually hoping that the value autocomplete will come to mac at all. an example where this is really missing would be the command repeat. it kinda defies the logic of having a fast command which helps automatizing some processes while needing to type the whole length command. not always having commands typed correct this can become quite a painful venture. any plans that this might happen?

hey Richard…

i’m not quite sure i’m following…
the commands do auto-complete.

are you talking about specific instances?
or, can you give a clearer example?

hey jeff, where have you been haven´t seen you in a while. to the topic, no i didnt mean the regular command autocomplete of course. but if you call up the command Repeat for instances, then you have to type in the full length command in the value field of what you want to repeat.

the same is also for any other command which need a definition. but also snaps using for instances curve, when you start the command you can type the alternative snaps like between into the value box, but you have to type the whole length of the word.

when you select some text and go to the height properties and hit ESC you get a list of words, when you actually start typing something like Mo… and hit ESC it suggests words starting with this letter in including commands. that might suggest that autocomplete could somehow work but here its in the exact wrong field.

i’ve been checking in… just not engaging much lately (busy)

you could type an asterisk in the normal command search to get autocomplete with repeat.

11 AM

that’s the OS doing that, right?
but yeah, i see what you’re saying… it’s probably possible to get that working in other text fields in Rhino using Rhino specific words that would make sense to use.

1 Like

Hi Richard - Repeat does autocomplete on Windows Rhino but OSnaps do not- they are not commands. Aliases do autocomplete though, even for OSnaps…

-Pascal

yes Mitch told me about it, since then i am missing it on the Mac. what @jeff_hammond suggests is a nice workaround and would settle me. a bit less convenient than the regular autocomplete i believe, still it would be interesting to know if this comes.

about the Osnaps i mean in a command like _Curve etc. there its possible to type the alternative Osnaps. on windows this also seems to autocomplete and for keyboard ninjas probably faster than fiddling the mouse to the snaps.

About Osnaps: I have the most common ones (End, Mid, Perpendicular, etc.) set to On permanently, and the ones I use occasionally or the ones that tend to disturb the drawing process most of the time (in particular Centre) combined in a custom palette that pops up at the mouse cursor when I hit S (= the alias to invoke the macro _ShowToolPalette _ToolPalette=MaxzSnap _UnderCursor=YES _Enter ( default alias for S is '_Snap))

Max.

1 Like

so is this going to happen for mac? the question was a little flushed down here. @dan any conclusions regarding this issue? also not to forget the deactivation of the cursor buttons in the command prompts.

I’m sorry, I’m really late to this one. My apologies. I’ve read this topic a couple times now, and I’m not sure what this:

refers to. Can you please try to de-confuse me? I think I’m just being dense.

the autocomplete in this and SetObjectDisplayMode for example where one has to fully type the commands or names, was the main concern of this topic. in rhino for windows this completes, on mac not.

Hi Richard, within the repeat command, nothing autocompletes here on Windows or Mac. On both platforms, *CommandName does autocomplete… “*” being the 'repeater character.

Am I also missing the point/request?

-Pascal

hmm, that clears up the confusion, i was somehow sure that somebody some time ago bla bla told me this would work on windows… sorry for this. but would be still very helpful. at least for SetObjectDisplayMode for example.