Strange - associating curves with the surface they reside on

I want to associate a list of curves with a list of surfaces and then extrude the curves along normal to the surface that they are “on”.

So my strategy was basically to sort the two lists based on their distance from an arbitrary point.

I was beating my head against the wall because this just wasn’t working and I couldn’t figure out why.

So… I extracted the relevant portion of my definition and put it in a separate file for posting here… and in the new file it works!

In the original definition (which has a bunch of other stuff) it doesn’t work. And even after deleting all the irrelevant stuff, the original file still doesn’t work.

As far as I can tell, both attached GH definitions should be functionally identical. One works, the other does not.

Obviously I’m going to just proceed with the fresh file that works but I’m posting just in case there’s a bug in here or to gain some understanding if I’ve done something silly.

Also if there is a cleaner way to do this, I’d love to hear about a better strategy.

GOOD curve-surface extrusion example.gh (16.3 KB) curve-surface normal extrusion problem.3dm (63.8 KB) NFG curve-surface extrusion example.gh (12.1 KB)

In the file with the error, you did not associate the normal vectors to the right curves. Look at this file and see how to connect each curve to the corresponding surface.

2020-06-22 16_32_17-curve-surface normal extrusion problem (63 KB) - Rhinoceros 6 Commercial- - Per

NFG curve-surface extrusion example_Edit.gh (9.0 KB)

1 Like

This could be another way…

NFG curve-surface extrusion example_re.gh (12.9 KB)

2 Likes

Thank you!! @mahanmotamedi1991 @HS_Kim