Spiralize a surface or extrusion

I need to spiralize an extrusion (or surface, not sure which). The final height will be 120 inches. Several holes are cut through the extrusion. I need .8 turns, with a diameter of 24 inches. Can someone give me the steps to create the spiral? I am happy to email a test file with a few holes as examples. THANK YOU!

(Pascal Golay) #2

Hi William - Twist is probably what you need here - pay attention to the Infinite=Yes/No setting - I think what most people expect is what Infinite=Yes gives.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

Thank you for responding!

Actually, it is a spiral I’m looking for. We are unable to fabricate a sculpture I created using the twist.

Attached is a file i made awhile ago, and don’t remember the steps to create the spiral.

My goal is to work on this in front view, apply my graphics, then spiral .8 turns, with a diameter of 24” top and bottom.

I’m changing the configuration of the starting shape from rectangle to a rectangle with two rounded corners, so that file is attached as well.

Really appreciate your thoughts!

PS My reply bounced back once, so I’m sending two emails, with one attachment each.

Thanks again,
Bill

SPIRAL_022817_single layer.3dm (3.73 MB)

Hi again,

Here’s the file I want to spiral. Not sure if I should spiral a surface or an extrusion, or how…

Bill

Bending Trial.3dm (4.3 MB)

(Pascal Golay) #5

So, not this, then, correct?

-Pascal

(David Cockey) #6

Helix to create the lower edge of the desired surface
ExtrudeCrv to create the desired surface.
UnrollSrf for flattened surface.
Create the cut-out outlines on the flattened surface.
FlowAlongSrf to put the outlines on the “twisted” surface
Trim as desired.
.Wrap DC1.3dm (116.6 KB)

Updated.

Nope, unfortunately, this is a twist, and there isn’t a way to twist a 10’ piece of steel like this that I know of. I can make a spiral by putting the steel through a set of rollers, but not the twist.

Bill

(David Cockey) #8

@william_freer Bill, did you take a look at the simple method I posted above to create a “spiral” surface as in your example? That shape can be easily rolled in steel. I’ll repeat it below.

Helix to create the lower edge of the desired surface
ExtrudeCrv to create the desired surface.
UnrollSrf for flattened surface.
Create the cut-out outlines on the flattened surface.
FlowAlongSrf to put the outlines on the “twisted” surface
Trim the holes in the surface as desired.
Example: Wrap DC1.3dm (116.6 KB)

Thanks very much, David,
I’ll give this a shot on Monday.

Happy weekend,
Bill

Thank you David,
Works like a charm!

Bill