Sorting mesh faces by UV and breaking them into tree branches

mesh.gh (490.1 KB)
(This is an approximate mesh, but it should work…? Also, I need a mesh input, can’t have anything else.)
image I wish to sort my mesh faces in a mobius such that each strip is a tree branch, unfortunately have been struggling with it.
I’ve tried starling, weaverbird, ivy, m+ etc, to no avail. Attached here is a approximation of the mesh…rather inaccurate, but i did the best i could to approximate mobius logic.

Hi,

this might be kind of solution…

mesh_RE.gh (504.9 KB)

mesh.gh (926.9 KB)

This demonstrates the basic idea of partitioning the list of mesh faces (white group):

mesh_2019Nov28a.gh (285.2 KB)

The tricky part is determining the partition size, which is 98 in this case. I used visual inspection (cheating!) and then spent some time trying various ways to derive that number from the geometry. All failed so far.

@Jakinta, I was blocked from full access to your model by a combination of missing plugin and R6 components that aren’t compatible with R5.

missing
missing2

I can see enough, however, to understand that you are using the NURBS surface edges to derive the partition value. Did you also get 98?

@18522067602, the R6 Relay component breaks your code for me in R5. It looks like you are dividing the NURBS surface with Isotrim and then converting each subsurface into a mesh?

Not sure that either solution will satisfy @aeaechan96, who wants a mesh input?

Yes, i got 98 as well.

here it is r5 compatible file…

mesh_RE_r5.gh (269.8 KB)

That works. I see that you are deriving the number along a horizontal edge (240), then getting 98 from that (23520 / 240 = 98).

Here’s another way (cyan group). Brutal but effective in this case, and it uses only the mesh, not the base surface.

mesh_2019Nov28b.gh (289.1 KB)

2 Likes

Hey! Just looked through this and it’s worked best, to an extent, its now occasionally having horizontals instead of verticalsimage . If I find a way to further update this, will certainly upload, in the meantime, this is a beautiful script, thanks so much!

I can’t tell much from that screen shot, other than it does not appear to be a Möbius strip? Posting a model is worth a thousand pictures.