Smoothing groups

Hello.
not sure if this is possible in rhino but just curious to know.
in 3ds max there is a tool called smoothing groups.it smooths the mesh in accordance with mesh angles.following image shows the example.

mesh.3dm (405.8 KB)

Have a look at the Weld and FlatShade commands in the Help file.

Hi Junkim

In addition to johns reply, have a look at the help page on weld
there are also tools to unweld
http://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/5/help/en-us/commands/weld.htm

HTH
-Willem

thanks John and Willem. I will test more and see if I can do it.

Will this fix the warning I get in Unreal Engine 5.3 when I import an FBX created from Rhino?
Thx
Alan

Hi Alan,

This is a 10 year old post. I would not know if this fixes the warning.
I’d say you best give it a try and see what UE says.

What type of warning do you get?

-Willem

Hi Willem,

Yeah, sorry to post in such an old thread, but it has the Subject line, and didn’t want to double-up.

Here’s the FBX Import error I’m getting when bringing into UE 5.3:

No smoothing group information was found in this FBX scene. Please make sure to enable the “Export Smoothing Groups” option in the FBX Exporter plug-in before exporting the file.

Even for tools that do not support smoothing groups, the FBX Exporter will generate appropriate smoothing data at export-time so that correct vertex normals can be inferred while importing.

Thx

Does the export-import not work at all, or are you just getting the message?

I expect that since Rhino does not have the concept of smoothing groups for meshes, the exported FBX does not have that information.

Do you get the meshes imported and visible in UE? If so, do they look good?
If so, I’d just leave it at that. Not sure who at McNeel can help checking if some “dummy” smoothing group information can be added to the FBX to prevent the import error.
@pascal any idea?

-Willem

Gotcha, thanks, Willem. Turns out (for the moment) Rhino Datasmith to Unreal 5.3 works really well, so that’s the workflow for now.

FYI - it’s just an annoying warning that pops up. Mesh comes in and looks fine to my eye.

But if @pascal does have any info, would be good to know for the future, and I’ll mark this topic as Answered (or whatever the verbiage is :wink: )

Thanks again.

1 Like