Here is a thread I would like you guys please to share how you work sketching on an iPad Pro and incorporating that pen work into your Rhino CAD designs.
I only recently started to use an iPad Pro and am quite amazed by how well the Apple Pencil works.
I started to use mainly the iOS app Concepts which allows for really fantastic and quite precise pencil work, creating free form curves and even offering to work with templates.
My issue now is that unfortunately the interface between Concepts (which offers a dxf export function) and Rhino does not work to my liking (I suppose it is a limitation of the export feature of Concepts).
Maybe you could help me to clarify?
Here is what I get with a quick doodle:
Concepts iOS app on iPad Pro:
Rhino for Mac after importing dxf:
You can see the issue of all free form curves having been broken up into straight lines (very roughly) and the elliptical curve (created with the eclipse tool template in Concepts) is a rather strange shape, not broken up into straight lines but being not without issues when trying to work with it in 3D, extruding it into a surface - very cumbersome to work with:
Here is what I do so far when trying to work with iOS Concepts + Apple Pencil and Rhino for Mac:
- design free from sketches in iOS Concepts
- export sketches to dxf
- import dxf to Rhino for Mac
- rebuild every single curve with tools in Rhino (VERY laborious)
Here is a second workflow, NOT using any iOS app to sketch:
- use the iOS + OS X app Astropad to be able to mirror the Mac screen onto the iPad Pro
- use the Rhino for Mac command “Sketch” to sketch free hand with the Pencil on the iPad
- directly use those sketches within Rhino
The major issue with this second workflow is that the flow and feel of the Pencil is BY FAR not natural. There is also a MAJOR amount of correction put into the Sketch command which results in substantially altered shapes from how you actually lead the Apple Pencil on the iPad, not resulting in the actual shapes you are sketching.
A third workflow I could think of to use (also including much more labour than I would want) is:
- sketch in ANY sketching app in iOS on the iPad (I prefer Concepts and ProCreate, both do have superior pencil feel and flow and allow for very precise sketching)
- export the sketch as an image
- transfer the image from the iPad to the Mac (AirDrop works reasonably well for this)
- import the image file into Rhino for Mac and trace the image file with Rhino curve tools (the VERY laborious part I try to get rid of)
Please share your ideas and workflows or any input how to improve results.
Maybe there are some quicker tools for example to translate the rather rough dxf input within Rhino into a smooth and workable resemblance of the actual sketch?
Are there any ways of adjusting the Rhino command Sketch to inherit less alterations and follow the sketching much more accurately?