Shrink Wrap with Kangaroo

I generally ignore updates for around 6 months once everything is working but will check now.

I tried the gh definition and it works now with your samples on latest rhino but for my data it does not want to. All steps till the solver and merge are OK but when I enable the merge for the data to go to solver it just freezes rhino. I tired with all branches (waited 1.5h) and only with three and the result is the same. What could be the reason for this freeze?

Here is the file I worked on: branchshelter.3dm (3.4 MB)

Hello @DanielPiker

Thanks for the Code, I think other people have had this problem before but I havenā€™t seen a solution, The First problem is related to the ConvexHull not being able to find Plankton 0.4 (even thought like others before Iā€™ve specifically downloaded this file). The second problem is related to the Solver but I assume it has to do with the first problem.

Hi @Ricardo_Merino,

I see the MeshEdit plugin ships with the versions of the Plankton files it references, so you shouldnā€™t need to download it separately.
You do need to make sure they are all unblocked though.
find the files in your AppData\Roaming\Grasshopper\Libraries folder, right click - properties and make sure none of them are blocked (the gha and 2 dlls).

Alternatively hereā€™s a version that replaces the convex hull from MeshEdit with the one from RhinoPolyhedra
shrinkwrap_branches2.gh (86.5 KB)

Also - to pre-empt any confusion, a form-found tensile shrink wrap like this is different from the new Rhino8 feature called ShrinkWrap. The former will produce webbed and stretched parts spanning over concave areas like a physical membrane, whereas the latter makes a closed manifold mesh which closely fits various types of input geometry.

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for the support!

I relaized I hadnā€™t copied the dlls, my bad.

On the other hand, Iā€™m trying to understand how the script works to use the script. I replaced the first part with another script I had learned so I could start with a Brep, but I get a new error with the TriMesh. Donā€™t know if this is becuase of the scale, I work in meters, but from what Iā€™ve tried changing the number doesnā€™t affect it.

shrinkwrap_branches with Brep.gh (89.9 KB)

Btw, thanks for explaining the difference with Rhino 8 ShrinkWrap

Hey @DanielPiker , Iā€™m having trouble navigating the script. The ConvexHull command does not appear. Any solutions?

In case you get this message, you might want to download and install the two plugins.

Thank you @martinsiegrist

@DanielPiker

I am thankful for these discussions and finally getting back into sinceā€¦ The def and plugins have progressed amazingly, congrats. I do have a question, I am enjoying the straight edge anchoring with relaxation between but have some issue when radiused curves included with straight edge. Any thoughts.

See def Iā€™m using from above discussion and example of relating to actually material production using polyethylene for desired result.

shrinkwrap_sharp (3).gh (25.3 KB)
SHRINKWRAP_TEMPLATE.3dm (784.4 KB)
![straightview|353x500]

I canā€™t tell you for sure but I think it is not a good idea to use Kangaroo with units feet. Iā€™ve copied your shape to a metric millimeter file, removed the inner perimeters and played around with the thickness. You might be able to reduce the thickness but the thinner the panels, the more problematic the solid collision.

The file below has the two objects internalised and uses the latest Kangaroo components

shrinkwrap.gh (56.0 KB)

2 Likes

awesome, thanks. I check the units and this def out!

1 Like

can you guide me how to flatten it out for actual modeling purposes? thank you very much

What do you want to flatten?

Do you mean unwrapp?

thatā€™s exactly what i needed

it did help with unitsā€¦and i do see issue with the thinness of elements. Much appreciated! Also solved a animation problem of seeing the bounding box shrink to the final shapeā€¦in previous iteration it started with shapes mesh so limited expression of shrinking processā€¦now to slice and unwrap like do produce cuttable patterns!
Thanks for help again!

Hey everyone in this thread. I am an architecture student trying to do something very similar to what Daniel posted in his original replay about shrinkwrap sharp. I have everything downloaded but I truly have no idea how to use this grasshopper script, is there anyone that could lead me through using it? All i see is the shapes that are come standard

Do you have a file with what youā€™re trying to achieve?

1 Like

Yeah I am looking to do something like, the tensile structure on the outside to the file linked beneath

111.3dm (17.8 MB)
here is the file

1 Like