Settings to Improve Hardware Functionality (GPU) Advice Please!

I just got a great deal on a new model, Lenovo workstation desktop, so I jumped and bought it. It was supposed to be for Rhino (using V6) and V-Ray exclusively, but I’m realizing that I may have been a bit hasty … The graphics card(s) seems not to be processing even basic processes–in particular the Artistic and Pen display modes seem to stutter, freeze, or refuse to display larger files, and using the ExtendSrf command on a previously offset (and admittedly wonky) surface crashed (!!) the software on Sunday and caused me two hours of additional work.

Three questions:

1. I bought the machine (Lenovo P 330 SFF) under the impression that I could simply upgrade the graphics card as I’ve done in the past with laptops etc. As it turns out, the computer was designed with a low wattage power source (260 W), so most high end graphics would require a higher wattage, and if I were to upgrade the power source I would need a new mother board. Anyone have recs on a good, low profile graphics card with Pascal architecture that would would work at 260 W? Hahaha. :(((((

2. I am not able to update the Intel graphics driver–I was on the phone with John at McNeel tech support on Friday, and he suggested that the Intel driver was an issue. I’m a bit confused about that, because of the dedicated Nvidia card (does Rhino use both dedicated and integrated cards?), but I went ahead and downloaded the more current driver and it won’t install: I get an error message that the driver is not approved. Called Lenovo, who informed me that the latest driver, though released by Intel, was not ready for this machine … So??? All other drivers are up to date.

3. Any recs on software/OS settings to try to make this machine work well with Rhino V6? I am frequently putting the software through the paces, so heavy files, lots of graphics use

I’m still able to return this machine, though I would love to keep it. Super bummed!

The system info is below:

Rhino 6 SR13 2019-2-27 (Rhino 6, 6.13.19058.371, Git hash:master @ 17cd8b51accbe17dd04b48028f49d5e77a67f17b)
License type: Commercial, build 2019-02-27
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Maia Merav

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 40Gb)
Machine name: DESKTOP-GSO287R

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro P1000 (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 1-11-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 417.71

Secondary graphics devices.
Intel® UHD Graphics P630 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 8-15-2018 (M-D-Y).

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 1-11-2019
Driver Version: 25.21.14.1771
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Nvidia, usually keeps one low-wattage chip in each series of cards. I would not expect blazing performance for it.

Lenovo computers usually have a System Update Utility. Along with Windows Update, are a good way to keep your machine working while under warranty. Lenovo System update video drivers lag behind be a few months. Just before updating the machine is a great time to do an additional backup. Sometimes Lenovo Update flashes the CMOS/UEFI.

If a driver is not approved, it might be a beta version. Released drivers are signed, and they should install.

If Lenovo overstated the performance of the computer, perhaps you might have a talk with their customer service. I have bough a few Lenovo computers. One was stated to have a matte screen, but it didn’t; they took it back.

1 Like