Setting ID Objects

Hello,

someone could help me on how setting ID’s objects in Rhino?
I need to do the same thing shown in the pic but in Rhino instead of CinemaCinema 4d.
Thanks,

Roy

Hi Roy - - what exactly, are you trying to do - do you want to know what the GUID of an object is, or set an object to have a new GUID, or something else? Please do not assume I have any idea about what C4D is doing.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

thank you for your message.
I’ve solved the problem because I’m using a different method in grasshopper.
Anyway, I would like to understand for future uses.
What is the difference between the ID of a Rhino object and an ID of a block instance? Because if I apply a material using the different ID to map different UV map, on Block instances it works and on a copy of the same object it doesn’t work.
Thanks,
Regards,
Roy

Hi Pascal!
What I mean is that if I create a block and copy it, the two blocks are instances with different IDs and the plugin works like a charm! But if I copy the same object that is not a block, it doesn’t work. It’s possible as in the example above do cinema 4d, give, as an attribute to rhino objects, different IDs?
I link an image where on the right are blocks (that work), on the left are objects
copied, and it doesn’t.
Thanks,
Roy

Hi Roy - blocks are different things - muliple Ids at the block instance level point at the same underlying geometry. You cannot assign ids that are already in use to other objects. I have no idea what your plug-in does though, so I need, for example, to know what this means-

Different from what?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

please look at the second image I’ve posted.

I’ve creates one cube. Then I’ve made one block from this cube. Then I’ve copied this block 4 times: in this case, each block has automatically one single ID (different from each other, the first have ID 1, the second have ID 2, and so on…): applying the plugin (that change randomly the UV map), it works perfectly (you can see the result on the 5 cubes on the right of my image).

Then I’ve created one cube (without creating a block from it). Then I’ve copied this block 3 times. Because all the copied cubes, in this case, have the same ID, the plugin doesn’t work (you can see the result on the 4 cubes on the left of my image, where the UV map it’s the same for all).

So, to use the plugins in this second case, without blocks, I should assign one different ID to each cube (one from each other, the first with ID 1, the second with ID 2, and so on…)., exactly has done Cinema 4d in the first image I’ve sent.

Thanks,

Roy

I need to see a file.

-Pascal

Uploading: Random block textures.3dm…

Here are the files.
In the rendering the cubes are blocks and the spheres are no blocks, as you can see in the file,
thanks,
Roy