Select arc

Hi. I need to select arc and circle in the active view.
Is there any command that can do it?

Marco

Hi Marco- here is a RhinoScript that should help- SelArc.zip (605 Bytes)

To use the script, extract and save the .rvb file from the attached zip archive, then drag and drop the saved rvb over an open Rhino V4 or v5 window. This will load the script, set it up to load on startup in the future and register the alias

SelArc
SelCircle

that will run the script much like a regular command. An alias can be typed or added to a toolbar button or keyboard shortcut (F-key).

-Pascal

can you add this to wish list pile for default rhino in v6, if not added already? For the Select Curves toolbar perhaps…
and maybe add ability to find arcs/circles with certain radius/diam or within threshold.

Hi carvecream - it is on the heap. In case it helps for now, here’s a version that adds

SelArcRad
SelCircleRad

that should get these if their radius is within file tolerance of the specified radius. No range yet…

SelArc (2).zip (880 Bytes)

-Pascal

1 Like

Great! Thank you Pascal.

Is there a way to select arcs yet? I tried the above zip file but I get a 404 file not found

Hi James - try this -
CurveAndArcUtilities.rhp (76.5 KB)

Unblock the rhp file in Windows Explorer and then drag and drop onto Rhino - it has SelArc and a few other possibly useful tools.

3PtArcFromPolyline
ArcFitToCurve
ArcFitToPoints
ArcFitToPolyline
DimCurveAngle
RadiusFrom3Pts
SelArc
SelArcByRadius
SelArcRange
SelCircle
SelCircleByRadius
SetArcDegrees
SetArcRadians
SetCurveLength
SubCrvFromMid

-Pascal

2 Likes

Hi Pascal,

Thank you very much, I was able to get it installed, and SelArc works the way I expect… it selects all arcs.

I tried SelArcRange but could not get it to work… it asks for a minimum and maximum, which I set, and then it doesn’t select arcs that are in that range. I had a simple drawing with some random arcs, I used the Radius command to see their radius, one was 12.6ish the other was over 15, so I tried to set a range of 10 to 13 hoping it would select only the 12.6ish arc… but it did not. Is there something I am missing?

I also tried SelArcByRadius, and that works as long as I know the exact radius and type it in, but it has (select) after it, which to me seems to indicate that I could select one arc that has the radius I want, and then it would select all the other arcs that match that one… and it gives me the different selection arrow… but I can’t click on any arcs to select them… they just don’t select. Any ideas?

I’m wondering if I need something else installed to get these to work

Thank you for your help,

James

Hi James - I doubt anything is wrong other than my typing - I’ll take a look. I’m pretty sure this all used to work but it’s been a long time.

@James_Richters the scripts for both of the commands you mention seem to work as expected here & SelArcRange works in the plug-in,I see that the Select part of SelArcByRadius does not work in the plug-in… I’ll fix it.
I see - I was not handling Nurbs arcs - only ‘real’ arcs. Fixed… thanks for the heads up.
I’ll update the plugin in my post above.

There are several others in there with the same limitation - I’ll fix those and update again later today.
Updated above - let me know if I broke anything.

-Pascal

I tried the updated file, now SelArcRange works the way I would expect. Thank you for fixing that!

I still cannot select an arc to use its radius with SelArcByRadius. I can select near one end, and it says 3 points added to selection, but it’s not selecting the arc, just control points. I’m just drawing arcs randomly with the _Arc command and selecting a random center point then random start and end points… just to try it out.

Thanks again for fixing this, these functions will be extremely useful for me.

James

Hi James - this seems OK here… can you send me a file where SelArcByRadius > Select fails?

I may need to support sub curves - that may be the problem - I’ll see if I can get that in.

@James_Richters - this may be a partial solution - if the curve to select is not an arc but say a polycurve - you get to pick a location on the curve to grab the radius - this will help in cases where the arc you want is say joined to another arc- even of the same radius. I should be able to detect these shortly and not need the extra step, but in the meantime try this…

CurveAndArcUtilities.rhp (75 KB)

@James_Richters - updated again to understand sub curves.

-Pascal

Here is what is happening when I try SelectArcByRadius:

I just can’t select any arcs… even though I have the asteroids mouse cursor… it just doesn’t select…

Select Arc Test.3dm (145.1 KB)

@pascal: I had an idea that it would be nice to select some various sample arcs first then activate something like SelectArcByRadius and it would select all arcs that match the previously selected radii.

I don’t know if that’s possible, but I figured I would make the suggestion

James

Hi James - it looks like there is a conflict of some kind between my home and office machines in accessing Google Drive files - I’ll see if I can sort it out tomorrow, but it looks like what I am uploading is not always the edited files.
CurveAndArcUtilities.rhp (75 KB)
@James_Richters - I think this is correct now - please try the attached; updated in the above post as well.

-Pascal

That should be possible, yes.

CurveAndArcUtilities.rhp (76.5 KB)

‘Select’ changed to ‘Match’ in SelArcByRadius, accepts pre- or post-selection. If only one selection, the radius becomes the default for next time.
If I did not break it.

-Pascal

1 Like

@pascal - I have it working now, I didn’t realize I had to hit M for Match to make the selection, because I had the asteroids mouse cursor right away… so I was just starting SelectArcByRadius and then trying to select things… the way _SelColor works… you start it, you get the asteroids cursor right away then you can go select something. But now that I understand what it’s expecting, it’s working great, both pre-selection or post selection are working.

I was trying SelAcrRange and noticed that while it did select my arcs that were in the range, it also selected some, but not all of the straight lines as well

Right - it is expecting a number input but Match lets you select an arc(s) to get the number. I’ll chcek about selecting lines, that does not sound very good to me.

-Pascal

SelArc seems to have stopped working, it just doesn’t select anything. I thought it was working before, but not it isn’t. SelArcByRadius and SelArcRange seem to both still work… except for the straight lines being selected