Scale a geometry in rhino using grasshopper

Hello everyone,

i am a brand new user of rhino and grasshopper. I generated a hexagon in rhino and i need to scale the geometry according to two values. In the picture there are two values, v0 and v1. I will scale the object scaling those values. for example, v0 = 1 and v1 = 1, v0 = 2 and v1 = 1 etc. I would be appreciated for any help with this problem.

You should set the hexagon into grasshopper and then scale in grasshopper, Grasshopper generally doesn’t change Rhino geometry, it makes new geometry that you have to bake.

i already tried to scale it in Grasshopper. What i tried to do, did not work.

We don’t know what you already tried since you’re not providing any file. :slight_smile:

is that what you wanted?
Okantopcu.gh (7.4 KB)

I can not provide any gh file because my files are really simple and i am trying to learn the basics of Grasshopper. But i will provide my files in the further questions. Sorry for inconvenience. By the way thank you very much @taraskydon this file will help to understand not just the genration of scaled geometry.

That statement instantly qualifies you for my ignore list. Bad attitude!

1 Like

Hey there,

is it possible to limit the length of these polygonal cells ? For example 50 mm in the x direction and 13 mm in the y direction ? I could not find a suitable answer in the forum. Any advice would be really valuable for me.

Okantopcu_Modified.gh (14.3 KB)

Panelingtools can create the grid and help populate the hex shape with it.

1 Like

I modified your definition a little bit to fit your cells into your desired boundary…

Okantopcu_Modified_re.gh (11.9 KB)

3 Likes

Thank you

Hello Kim,

i am trying to define different geometric shapes and also different kind of merge using move command. On the other hand, what you showed me was really tricky and helpful. In the file below, i was trying to generate new paneling of the rectangle geometry but i could not scale the geometry in the x and y direction as you did in the previous example. You used rectangular array but i could not make it happen using rectangular array command. Could you please help to overcome this problem.Okantopcu_Modified1_1.gh (17.5 KB)

Hello Mr. Davidson,

i already generated my core geometry. Could you please tell me how i use paneling tool to panel the surface with my own geometries. It seems a little bit confusing.Triangular_Attraction.gh (15.0 KB)

Is it supposed to look like this:

I used Paneling tools in Grasshopper. I baked your curves and used the baked example. The paneling definition looks like this:

I am sure there are other ways to do it, And the dynamic lines you are generating would work with some modification to the logic.

But is that the result you want?

Hello Mr. Davidson

since the last message, i was trying to use paneling method for different kind of shapes. Actually, only reasonable advice which i found in this forum, completing the shapes into an rectangular. And hence i may get one or two combinations of connections. In particular of the shape above, i would like to panel in the 1st row just like you did in the picture, then in the second row, i would like to start paneling from the second column ( for example ). By doing that i will get edge connections, rather than the vertices. Is it possible to arrange ( rearrange ) the paneling grids by manually. For instance by using Phyton etc. Here some example trials using Lunchbox. Hexagons are simple to generate but for custom shapes, i guess paneling tool is a good option.

Panelingtools is good for the custom shapes. Sometimes it takes some thinking and understanding how the pattern tiles together to get the right answer.

https://discourse.mcneel.com/c/plug-ins/panelingtools/83