RIR - Setting Work Plane on Generic Model Elements

Hello, is there any way to change/set the Work Plane on Generic Model Elements?
Thanks in advance

This was recently discussed here.

1 Like

The latest Daily Build has a new component for testing that will Add by Work Plane.

1 Like

Hiya @Japhy – curious if there may be a workflow related to this conversation re: Model Lines (not ideal, but in this case maybe the only way). We have a project that is depicting an irregular / asymmetrical pattern on walls that cannot be created with a hatch. To maintain this and visualise in views, Model Lines are being used; however, the issue of course is if any walls move / layouts change, etc. the lines do not follow.

I’m able to grab the existing Model Lines via Graphical Element, and have created a new layer in Rhino of those copied lines that I’ve moved. To bring back into Revit, the ‘Add Model Line (M-Line)’ component doesn’t seem to work with the solution you suggested (unless I’ve missed something). Is there a way to do this using the Level as reference? I received an error when I tried. TIA!

Here i got the Face from the Walls with the Element References component for the Add Work Plane (Face) component.

Apologies if you’re not using Rhino 8, something similar is easy enough in Rhino 7 with Elefront to reference the Curves.

The extra bits pull the Rhino curves to the Walls after a move in Revit, would need more work to make practical but has potential.

MovingCurves

The Rhino 7 has the Model Object components removed.
RH7-WorkplaneCurves.gh (12.9 KB)
RH8-WorkplaneCurves.gh (14.4 KB)

Ah, yes, this is great – precisely what I’m after! I’m less familiar with the relevant Elefront components – which would those be and how would that change the script? For ‘Query Model Object’ and ‘Model Object’ that you used? I am in Rhino 7 – I should’ve mentioned.

I can post a full example tomorrow. What Revit Version are you using?

You can use the Geometry Pipeline component to get a simple example going (replaces Query Model Objects) . The lines will need to be planar to the Face to start out.

Revit 2023 for this one. Thank you!

kk I’ll have a go with that – planar or parallel, btw? In some cases, we have curved walls, but the lines would essentially always be parallel to these surfaces before being projected / pulled onto them.

If you run into trouble post a small example of your Rhino geometry (baked walls and rhino curves)

Here’s a smaller area from the project – first issue is that the faces don’t match in the list, so trying to sort that out, but you get an idea. The Model Lines have both the original ones (that are incomplete due to recent wall updates), and a copied layer of new test lines, just to try out. But you get a sense of the curved wall scenarios.

232911_walls_model lines.3dm (18.9 MB)

This is going to be difficult with the Model lines on curves surfaces, Revit requires a workplane for those.

How are you placing Model lines on the curves walls in the Revit UI?

What are these exactly? Joint Lines in Efis panels? I think i have an idea…

The lines are to indicate paint / proposed wall covering pattern, so being used in elevations, sections, and 3D views. A silly thing to do with detail lines when the design / layouts are still in flux a bit, so figured there could be a workaround. Currently, the curved walls have sweeps added, but again, another thing to maintain (though a bit more sensible than detail lines :sweat_smile:)

DirectShapes will take curves and have no concern about the WorkPlane.

You could assign them to an obscure category to get some control over the line weights

That’s all i’ve got for today, more time tomorrow.

Hi @Japhy – happy new year! Realised I hadn’t ever replied and wanted to say a big thank you for looking into this and coming back with a solution. Given the other Generic Models and things in the project itself, this wound up being not quite the answer. Instead, I created an Adaptive Component family (just the 3D spline and 5 adaptive points) and placed it based on points divided along each Rhino curve. This gave a bit more flexibility and also allowed for subcategorising. Leaving it to the design team to sort out how they initially draw the curves in Rhino, but at least the placement will be consistent :smiley:

1 Like

Great idea!

1 Like