RhinoPolyhedra update available

The RhinoPolyhedra plug-in for Rhinoceros 5 will allow you to create and visualize a variety of polyhedral shapes; over 400 different shapes.

RhinoPolyhedra supports both 32-bit and 64-bit Rhinoceros 5.

The RhinoPolyhedra plug-in has three commands:

Polyhedron. Creates a variety of polyhedra.
PolarZonohedron. Creates a polar zonohedron.
SelPlanarSrf. Selects planar surfaces.

RhinoPolyhedra is free!

Version 1.0.14108.445 adds 16 additional prisms & antiprisms and dipyramids & trapezohedra shapes.

Download…

2 Likes

While I love this plugin, and have used it since it first came out, I feel it would be much more useful if the interface included some description and image for each of the polyhedra. I know there are many types, but that is precisely the issue. I know the PDF exists which has all of the types, perhaps those images should be integrated into the dialog which appears after one types ‘Polyhedron.’ Is such a thing possible?

I completely agree. I will be adding these feature.

– Dale

What about incorporating it into V6 solid creation toolbar?

3 Likes

Yes please :smile:

Philip

Over the weekend, I posted version 1.0.14135.469. The Polyhedron dialog now includes a preview image, plus it also displays the number of vertices and faces of the selected polyhedron.

http://www.food4rhino.com/project/rhinopolyhedra

Let me now what you think.

– Dale

Great! Very helpful. But there is something tricky here, are you actually generating the polyhedra image on the fly as the user selects it?! I noticed the color was random when the ‘color faces’ option was checked. If I had to write up an interface with a bunch of different options, I would think of a clever way to not have to render out all of those images, and I think that is what you did!

While this is trivial, a mesh output would be nice directly from the interface. I understand that for some polyhedra with more than more than 4 sided faces, this might be an issue…

also, what are your criteria for space filling polyhedron? A Rhombic Dodecahedron fills up space pretty nicely.

Yes it does. The project is already quite large - I didn’t want to bloat it even more by embedding a bunch of bitmaps.

Perhaps for a future Rhino 6 version.

There are other space filling polyhedra. These are just a few you might not know about.

– Dale

Hey, I downloaded it earlier today, and wanted to post a wish for the inclusion of the tumbnails and the face data, but was too busy with the project. :smiley: Nice coincidence, and I look forward to using the updated version tomorrow. THANKS for a great tool Dale!

Thanks Dale wonderful work.
RM