Rhinoceros : Platform not supported error while launching

Hi,
I installed last version of Rhino (7.4.21078.01001) on Windows 10 Family and got this error when launching the software:

Rhino not supported on Windows Server.

To run Compute on Windows Server, see

It seems that the laucher consider the system as a Server version of Windows…
Did you alredy encountered this kind of behaviour ?

Thanks in advance !

Hi -

Could you post a screen dump from the “Windows specifications” information from the Windows settings?
-wim

It’s in french, all seems quite normal here…

Hi, Please install 7.5 (due out in the next few hours) and see if it works better for you.

I am getting the same thing on a windows insider preview build. Rh 7.6.21103.

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H1
Installed on ‎25/‎08/‎2020
OS build 19043.928
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3740.0

Are you running Insider Preview on a computer or in a VM?
@will ^^

computer, a Razer laptop. tried running it on windows sandbox on the same laptop and it worked fine

Hey @SherifTarabishy, I installed 19043.928 on a VM and couldn’t reproduce this. I’ll get back you shortly with some tests that we can run to figure out what’s wrong.

1 Like

Hi,
I’m encountering the same issue with Windows 11 Education.
Here are the details of my system OS :

Édition Windows 11 Éducation
Version 21H2
Installé le ‎30/‎11/‎2021
Build du système d’exploitation 22000.556
Expérience Pack d’expérience de fonctionnalités Windows 1000.22000.556.0

I am also facing the same error. I was running Rhino 7.19 earlier without any issue. Today I updated to 7.20 and got this message when I started Rhino.
I uninstalled and re-installed but still facing the same issue.

I have Windows 10 Home edition.

How to solve this?

I installed optional cumulative Windows updates yesterday, hoping that the problem might get resolved, but I’m still facing the same issue.

I also tried installing previous versions of Rhino, 7.8.21196.05001, and 7.5.21100.03001, but still getting the same error.

Can you please download and run the diagnostic tool below and let me know what it returns? I think that something is causing Rhino to incorrectly detect that it’s running in a containerised environment (i.e. docker). This tool runs through the same checks that Rhino does on startup and returns an identifier for the check that is causing the false positive.

https://files.mcneel.com/misc/rhino_checkwinserv.zip

1 Like

I get this. I ran the exe as administrator and regularly. In both cases, I get this output.

Very odd. The CExecSvc service should only run inside a Windows container. I’ve read about cases last year when Microsoft accidentally pushed out updates intended for containers to regular desktop systems. Try stopping the service (Start > Services then right-click on the CExecSvc service and choose Stop) and run the diagnostic tool again. Let me know if it prints “OK”, or not!

1 Like

Okay, something weird is happening. CExecSvc shows up in the services tab of task manager but not in services separately.

P.S., sorry, it does show up, actually it’s named as Container Execution Agent.

After stopping the service, I got this.

I was hoping that stopping the service would fix the issue. I double clicked Rhino and got the same error again.

I just checked again, the service status shows up as blank in the windows services box.

Malware impersonation?

I guess you need to sc delete it

But, Windows container is also runnable on Windows Pro & Enterprise, which might not be a good server indicator (and some software may use it? maybe Isolation Mode of Edge, Android virtualizer like BlueStacks, etc).

The CExecSvc service should only be running inside a container, not outside. Here’s a thread that describes something similar, albeit on Windows Server.

You can try deleting the CExecSvc service and also look for a file named C:\License.txt and delete/rename it if it exists.

Things have moved on in the Windows container world and we may no longer need to perform the same checks to detect when Rhino is running in one. I’ll see if we can fix this on our end…

2 Likes

I found C:\License.txt file and renamed it.

Out of four CExecSvc. exe files found on my system, I was able to successfully able to rename two files by changing their ownership by running the ‘TAKEOWN /F’ command in the admin command prompt and also in the properties>security>advanced section.

I used the same process for changing the ownership of all these files but for the two files, I am getting this error when I try to rename or delete them.

These two files have the path

C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_hyperv-compute-cont…utionservice-shared_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.19041.1741_none_ca5e1b8ee37b718d\CExecSvc.exe

C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_hyperv-compute-cont…utionservice-shared_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.19041.1741_none_ca5e1b8ee37b718d\n\CExecSvc.exe

Rhino is looking for the service, so removing the exe probably won’t be enough. Try running sc delete cexecsvc in cmd.exe.

Later today I’ll send a link to a new build of Rhino that skips these checks on Windows 21H1 and newer.

1 Like