Rhino7. Save as Rhino5, export selected to Rhino5

Hi all
Is there a working script that would save the project from Rhino 7 to Rhino5
And the second script that would export the selected object to Rhino5?

Do the following macros work for you?

_-SaveAs _Version=5 _Browse (if you want to give it a file name)

_-SaveAs _Version=5 _Enter (if you want to keep the original file name)

_-Export _Pause _Version=5 _Browse

(note that Rhino WIP currently still uses the V6 format)

3 Likes

Thank you bro!
As always works great!

Hello.
And continuing with the theme
Since then I have to export sub-d objects, which must be converted to NURBS. In this regard, I changed the macro.

Select objects to start the macro

_Show
_Hide
_HideSwap
_SelNone
_SelSubD
_ToNurbs
_Enter
_Hide
_SelAll
_-Export _Pause _Version=5 _Browse
_-UndoMultiple 5

_Hide and _HideSwap are needed to export only selected objects in the scene.
Macro works correctly if there is a SUBD among objects.
But if there is no SUBD, then macro does not work.
I can’t do this problem.
Is there any way?

ps
I suspect that not the way “on the fly” to copy/paste from Rhino7 to Rhino5. I am wrong? Is there a way, maybe plugin?

Thanks

Exporting to Rhino 5, SubD objects are automatically converted to NURBS - so you don’t need to do that beforehand. They are converted to meshes…

If subd selected and _-Export _Pause _Version=5 _Browse
I get an empty file

Hmm, it looked liked it was OK, but I see that the exported file doesn’t open correctly in V5 (it does in V7). However, I didn’t check, although the SubD was exported, it is a mesh, not NURBS. Sorry about that.

if open result in R7 = mesh, if in R5 = empty

Yeah. So to be clear, you are wanting to select some objects - possibly but not necessarily including some subd’s - and export them as V5 with any subd’s that might be included in the selection converted into NURBS?

yes
I don’t want two macro for one operation

My macro could have a more simplified view. But if there is a mesh, it is converted to Nurbs with the Subd. I don’t need it.

I think that’s probably only going to be possible with a script, you are running into the limitations of a macro, they don’t have any if → then decisional possibilities.

I see. But don’t have enough fundamental knowledge

You can try this quick hack to see if it does what you want. In theory it should convert all selected SubD’s to NURBS for export, but the converted objects are not kept in the V7 file after export, the original SubD’s remain. Not extensively tested.

ExportAsV5ConvSubD.py (1.2 KB)

If you want to start working with subd objects, is it not time to upgrade whoever is still stuck on V5? The upgrade cost will be less than the time wasted…

Script exports all types of objects correctly. Thank you!
But there is a small wish.
Subd then Script “convert to Nurbs” create lots of surface. Is it possible to simplify same as after the command ! _ToNurbs inside 7r?

Ehhh that sounds like a good idea but you’re getting further and further away from the original SubD object in what’s supposed to be a simple ‘export’ operation, and you’ve been handed this Python script you don’t know how it works…what is the purpose of exporting to obsolete versions? Would it not be better to just get everyone on the same page?

It just specific.
Sometimes I work with old plugins that are not adapted with 7r
So I have to throw an objects from soft to soft

Yes, something should be possible, I’ll look into it.

Edit: does the following version work any better? I added the option to “pack” the SubD when converting, which is I guess is what ToNurbs does by default…? Let me know.

ExportAsV5ConvPackedSubD.py (1.8 KB)

1 Like

This version works perfectly!
Thank you, esteemed Mitch!
:fist: