Rhino V6 wish, selection by volume

Hi Pascal and others,

I have a wish. Sometimes we have to import heavy engineering files that come in solids. In my case it s an aircraft seat for example. It comes with everything all the nuts and bolts, washers, cables etc… They re all on the same layer and the block manager doesn t allow to delete the specific solids since the links are broken. It s a painstaking task to go and get rid of all superfluous solids such as those , bolts, nuts, washers, springs, cables etc… we re talking thousands of little solids that just slow down Rhino for no good reason. My suggestion is to have inside the selection filter a function that excludes any solids by volumes measured. For example, we key-in select volumes below 2 cubic in. and once everything that fits that description is highlighted, we just deleted.

thanks

Alexandre

Hi Alexandre- I had made something in Rhinoscript, ages ago, for small area- I just quickly modified it to use volume- quickly tested, it seems to work ok. I can imagine it will not be fast on your huge files, only faster than what you are doing now. Uses model units as input, for now at least. Finds surfaces and polysurfaces if the volumes can be computed.

SelSmallSrf.zip (631 Bytes)
Unzip, save, then drag and drop the rvb file onto Rhino to add

SelSmallSrfArea
SelSmallSrfVol

-Pascal

You can also try these:

SelSrfsByVol.py (3.0 KB)

SelSrfsByArea.py (2.6 KB)

SelMeshesByVol.py (2.6 KB)

SelMeshesByArea.py (2.5 KB)

You have a choice of greater than, less than, equal to, or between (range)…

–Mitch

thanks Mitch, much appreciated

Awesome, thanks Pascal

Of course, the regular SelSmall command will - to a degree - do what you want as well…

OK, so I got a bit carried away, stuck at home and whatnot on the weekend… here’s a plug-in that has a few selection tools- kind of an exercise in command line options - you get to pick what kind of object, set units, select an object to set the cut-off volume or area, limit the selection candidates, wheee!

Adds:
SelVolSmall
SelVolLarge
SelAreaSmall
SelAreaLarge

I’ll see about selecting curves by length as well.
As always. marginally tested.

@alexandre_galin

SelectBySize.rhp (51.5 KB)

-Pascal