Rhino using 100% CPU on single core constantly

Hi all,
It seems that something in Rhino 6 is running a single core constantly at 100% causing the entire system to be incredibly laggy and nearly unusable. This persists even with a blank file and no user input and also in safe mode. Any help will be very well received and much appreciated as the program is unusable for most intents and purposes in this state.
Thanks!

Rhino 6 SR17 2019-8-23 (Rhino 6, 6.17.19235.15041, Git hash:master @ 06b69c5cc21d880aa793a5a7cfd454a66f6213bb)
License type: Educational, build 2019-08-23
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Mr Benjamin Pearce ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Machine name: BIGB2

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 8-27-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 431.86

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 8-27-2019
Driver Version: 26.21.14.3186
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.17.19235.15041
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.17.19235.15041
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 6.17.19235.15041
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.17.19235.15041
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 6.17.19235.15041
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.17.19235.15041
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 3-17-2019
Driver Version: 25.21.14.1967
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.17.19235.15041
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.17.19235.15041
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 6.17.19235.15041
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.17.19235.15041
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 6.17.19235.15041
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.17.19235.15041
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Hello - do you have any scripts that load at startup?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal, Not that I know of, other than _grasshopper is set to run on start. Also, I misspoke when I said it slowed the whole system down, its just Rhino that slows down. Thanks!

Hi Benjamin - I’d first try not starting GH at startup and see what happens…

-Pascal

Hi Pascal, No luck disabling the loading of GH. It still starts up and will have about 250ms of smooth motion before it gets the hiccups and does not update to reflect the motion of the mouse or more precisely seems to slow down to what I would guess to be a variable frame rate ranging from between .5fps to fps. Any other suggestions? Many thanks, Ben

Hi Benjamin - can you try turning off Vertical Sync in the nVidia control panel?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal, That did not have any effect. Any other steps? Thanks, Ben

OK, I had only slight hopes since the cpu core is pegged, apparently, not the card, but some lagginess was fixed by this for some users.

Does it lag if you run in SafeMode?

Start Rhino in Safe Mode: Windows start menu, type in ‘Rhinoceros’ and look for the ‘Rhinoceros in Safe Mode’ entry.

-Pascal

I tried safe mode first to no avail. fwiw, it also appears that the default in the Nvidia panel for Rhino was not to use the Vertical Sync. Thanks, B

Hmm… I am getting stumpter and stumpter. Are there any startup commands? (as distinct from startup scripts). You see Rhino churning in Task Manager, correct?

-Pascal

Uh oh. Rhino just sits there bouncing at 8.2-8.4% or (77-100% of the core). For a while before it got really bad, Rhino wanted to make bounding boxes out of not too complex geometry. I am also using a 3dconnexxion spacemouse, current drivers, etc. But Rhino is doing this even after a reinstall of both 3dconnexxion drivers and Rhino as well as just not loading the plugin.

Also, Rhino5 seems to be just fine.

If you unplug the space mouse completely, is it any different? Making bounding boxes seems like a view adjustment thing, potentially.

-Pascal

Whoa. OK. Unplugging the receiver seemed to do the trick. Different problem, but not so much yours as mine! Do you have any suggestions? I’ve grown to rely on the ol’ Spacemouse through the years… Many thanks, B

I’d contact 3dConnexion and try to work with them - they’ll shout for help if it’s Rhino’s fault. I’ll ask @Markus as well.

-Pascal

If you plug the receiver in again does the problem come back, or are you still good?

And for context, did you recently get the Windows 10 1903 update?

I don’t know if you have it installed but I had several problems with the Gforce Experience app. once unistalled, everything goes normal.

2 Likes

@DiegoKrause

This is a long shot, but I had the same issue a while ago with my SpacePilot and its an easy fix.

My sluggishness was due to my SpacePilot being slightly out of alignment. So, Rhino thought I was always moving when I was actually still. It drove me crazy!

The fix was a simple ‘calibrate’ function, so that the space pilot was reset / re-centered.

2 Likes

Thanks a ton! I’ll reach out.

J

Hi Jeremy, plugging it in brought it back, sadly. I am on the 1803 update from April. Thanks.