Rhino stopped producing animation frames

I’m using a Grasshopper slider to do simple animation of the Rhino viewport. I’m on Windows 10.

It’s been working wonderfully for a few days, and I’ve made a few .mp4’s (using ffmpeg to assemble the frames produced by Rhino.

This morning I tried to cancel an in-process animation. The Rhino window was under another window and was non-responsive with no way to get to it (due to the running animation?). I tried to close Rhino from the Windows taskbar.

I got a message Rhino. I don’t remember the exact words, but the message included “out of memory” and the final line was “restart computer.”

I’ve not seen anything like that from Rhino before (in 2 years of daily use). But I did as I was told.

I rebooted and restarted Rhino. I had saved my files, so I chose to ignore the recovery file.

I started the animation again. The animate-dialog output folder and the filename template were unchanged… It looked like it was working. The animated viewport was nicely stepping through the frames, and Rhino showed the usual “Generating frame n of max” message.

However, no frame images were generated in the specified output folder.

I tried a different .gh file that was set up for animations and had worked previously. It showed the same behavior.

It appears there is some change in Rhino that is causing this, and that survived the reboot and restart.

I’d love some advice on how to fix or diagnose this problem.


Found the problem.

It was a surprise to me that the Animate dialog shares values among open files.

I have two .GHX files, each with an Animate slider (having the same name). If I animate in one file and change a value, e.g., the output folder or number of frames, that change migrates to the other loaded .GHX file.

Something to be aware of.

1 Like

Hi Bill,
I just found your discussion here since I also just encountered the same problem with my grasshopper.
I just wondering how did you solved the problem?

I don’t really remember what I was doing until this error happens. But, similar to your case, I am still able to make animation for my school project cause I had my presentation that day. Then the day after, I start notice strange display happens with my point (crossed in display setting but appears like a rectangle in Rhino), then I can’t make any animation anymore. Image I attached bellow.

I’ve tried open the file in my friend computer and it’s working fine. Seems like it’s not happening also when I try to make simple slider animation from a new grasshopper file.

Looking forward to hear from you.
Thank you!


Hi @Cinderakasih_Annisa , to be able to diagnose, pls share your file or upload it here in case it is confidential.