Rhino Sculpting

Hi, Hope everyone is healthy in these crazy times.
I’m trying to improve my free from sculpting. and I’m not sure how to proceed with the hair on this figurine. Am I just beating my head against a wall trying to do this in rhino? is this something I should be doing is a mesh sculpting program?

Here’s what I’ve got so far. I’m not looking for an exact duplicate just the same general feel.
DollBody.3dm (821.8 KB)

the hair is always tricky. I made a couple of models like this in rhino using sweep2 mostly and control point edit. a lot of editing.
maybe this helps a little:

2 Likes

SubD in Rhino 7 WIP

2 Likes

Project the curves on the head and then use pipe with record history activated.
DollBody_hair.3dm (3.1 MB)

3 Likes

I have used Sweep2 and NetworkSrf to build simplified strands of hair. This was part of a lion’s mane. I started with the bottom strands then used Project and Pull to get the outer perimeter guide lines laying down on the model for the upper stands. For example purple first, then green, then orange. The basic hair stands were built with NetworkSrf. I cleaned up the corners with tangent curves then Sweep2 to make the triangular corner surfaces (pink). Then trim everything back to the unified base surface which in this case was the lion’s head, torso and a domed base. Since the model required a fine degree of control this workflow was OK but slow, and now I think I would look at SubD. like @Michael_Pryor suggests, or maybe Pipe like @Eliel
edit-just got a chance to review your videos @DiegoKrause. I have a lot to learn.

lion mane detail.3dm (2.0 MB)

1 Like

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ll try some of these. I’ve been meaning to dig into subD anyway.

Can you help me? I’m trying to do something really similar to this and I came across this looking to emulate a Lion’s Mane Mushroom and how it’s legs grow. This was the closest thing I could find, and you say “pipe with record history activated” and i’m not sure how you mean. Would you be able to explain?