Rhino mac is... slow

Hi Everyone,

I’m working on last release both on mac and windows.
I’m so really tired to see every time I open a file on Rhino mac how slow and unoptimised it is…
I love Rhino, I IOS, they are both smart companies. I really don’t get it, after 3 full versions, it’s still not working…

The best option seams to run a VM - sadly - to run Rhino for windows.

Does anyone experience the same thing ?
Is anybody at Mcneel feel it too ?

Bests

3 Likes

Yes it’s known, it will not be solved in V7

system info?

In addition to your SystemInfo results in Rhino 7, do you also have a 3dm file that performs well for you in Rhino 7 for Windows but not Rhino 7 for Mac that you can share? The SystemInfo results from Rhino 7 for Windows would be good to see as well. My guess is that you are referring to display speed and that your model is large and your Mac has a less capable GPU than your Windows machine while at the same time having a higher resolution screen which compounds the slowness. It could also be display mode settings but again this is a guess without the systeminfo(s) and a file.

I think there are some problems comparing apples with windows. One is curved, while the other… :wink:

Apart from difference in the hardware specs, Rhino is developed cross-platform which usually always prefers one platform in regards of performance. In this case it’s just Windows as the platform of origin. In order to make the most of the MacOS port, McNeel has to dismiss the multiplatform paradigm to support native development. Meaning e.g. going for Metal instead of OpenGL and also other underlying technologies need to be optimised/replaced. For instance the .Net Framework(->Xamarin), is just slower on MacOS.
So it’s a mix of tech limitations, hardware specs and the actual software implementation…

Wut? Sure works for me.

This is explicitly not recommended by McNeel!

What exactly is it that you are experiencing? Could you be more specific?
Overall bad performance surely isn’t a thing on recommended, supported Apple hardware.

I use Rhino/Grasshopper a lot on macOS! There are some minor bugs sure, but overall the experience is rather great.

You want to know the setup of my mac?
MBP 16" 2020

Thanks for your answer…
Starting from the bottom with the Rhino Spirit ?
Should be amazing

I’m using Rhino mainly for my interior design projects.
I have 200 mb files full of curves and nurbs objects.

Every time I use a command that show or hide big amount of curve it’s very slow - rather on Windows it’s instant. There is many commands that are slow like that.

A specific point is that my team work on Rhino7 on windows and I open their files from my macbook on Rhino 7. Im working on IOS because I travel a lot and i like the Hardware/software combination provided by Apple.

Reading your comment and @BrianJ one’s, I guess I just don’t know what is a systeminfo file/result. Can you tell me more about it? How to get one ?
I can share you a file yes. do you have a mail box?

use the command SystemInfo save the result as txt and simply drop it into the reply.

From my experience drawing and manipulating a lot of curves is a big issue with macOS versions RH6 & RH7 (not so with RH5, as far as I know). There already is a discussion about this here:

To check: Are you still experiencing performance issue if you hide/delete all your curves and work on manipulate your other objects (Nurbs, Meshes etc.) - just to specify your issue.

Hope this helps,

Rudi

There are two things that will help us figure out if we can do anything to improve your situation.

• please run the SystemInfo command in Rhino and send me the results. This helps us get a better idea of how your Rhino is configured
  • Please send me the file that you are experiencing slow display with. Without a file to see what you are experiencing we can only speculate.

Thanks

Rhino mac 5 was super nice and speedy. 6 & 7 have severe performance issues.

In my opinion this should be the main concern for Rhino’s future on the mac platform.

Apparently the issue is OpenGL related. If that is the case it probably might make sense to put all horses on metal for version 8. Apple and Rhino were big “friends” in 5 so we would be happy if they cold refresh their friendship in 8 .))

2 Likes

type systeminfo into the command line of rhino and paste the result here.

Hi,
it seems to me that V7 is running a bit slower than v6. For me the primary issue is text entry for properties. I’m running a fair decent spec MBP and you’ll see from the video I’ve uploaded how sluggish it is. This is a brand new file, creating a box and clicking into the proprties box. I then hit 1-0-0-0 three times in a row as fast as I can on the numpad, but the on screen response lags far behind.
Following is the Rhino sysinfo for context.
Hope this is helpful.
Cheers Peter

Rhino 7 SR3 2021-2-22 (Rhino 7, 7.3.21053.23032, Git hash:master @ f8a40388712d9cf7edc68910e0415427bdefc64a)
License type: Commercial, build 2021-02-22
License details: Cloud Zoo

Apple Intel 64-bit macOS Version 10.15.7 (Build 19H524) (Physical RAM: 64Gb)
Mac Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,4
Language: en-AU (MacOS default)

AMD Radeon Pro 5600M OpenGL Engine (OpenGL ver:4.1 ATI-3.10.19)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: ATI Technologies Inc.
Render version: 4.1
Shading Language: 4.10
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: n/a
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 8176 MB
Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5600M
Displays: U28E850 (160dpi 1x), Color LCD (302dpi 2x)

Graphics processors
Intel UHD Graphics 630 (1536 MB)
AMD Radeon Pro 5600M (8 GB)
Color LCD (2048 x 1280 @ 59 Hz)
U28E850 (3840 x 2160 @ 30 Hz)

USB devices
Generic: USB3.0 Card Reader
Realtek: USB 10/100/1000 LAN
Matias Keyboard: Matias Wired Keyboard
VIA Labs, Inc. : USB Billboard Device
Apple: composite_device
Apple Inc.: Touch Bar Backlight
Apple Inc.: Touch Bar Display
Apple Inc.: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
Apple: Headset
Apple Inc.: Ambient Light Sensor
Apple Inc.: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
Apple Inc.: Apple T2 Controller

Bluetooth devices
Broadcom: Logitech Bluetooth Wireless Mouse SDP Server, Logitech Bluetooth Wireless Mouse, Logitech Bluetooth Wireless Mouse PnP Server

Third party kernel extensions
com.paragon-software.kext.VDMounter (65.2) 4D240549-E723-3B95-979B-C8CCEA268085
com.getdropbox.dropbox.kext (1.13.0) 4FFF485B-204E-3E48-BC54-C1D406AB9E75

Third party plugins
/Library/Frameworks/3DconnexionClient.framework/Versions/A/3DconnexionClient
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCore.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreFoundation.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreGraphics.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftDarwin.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftDispatch.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftFoundation.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftIOKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftObjectiveC.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftXPC.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCryptoTokenKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftos.dylib
/Users/peter/Library/Application Support/McNeel/Rhinoceros/MacPlugIns/maxwell_rhino.rhp/libmwdotnet_native.dylib
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/libmxcommon.dylib
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/libcudart.10.1.dylib
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/extensions/wireframetexture.osx.mxx
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/extensions/LensExtensions.osx.mxx
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/extensions/MaxwellCloner.osx.mxx
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/libboost_date_time.dylib
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/libboost_system.dylib
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/libboost_filesystem.dylib
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/libboost_iostreams.dylib
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/libboost_thread.dylib
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/extensions/xritebrdf.osx.mxx
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/libAxFDecoding.1.7.dylib
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/extensions/MaxwellProcedurals.osx.mxx
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/extensions/TiledTexture.osx.mxx
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/extensions/MaxwellHair.osx.mxx
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/extensions/MGrassH.osx.mxx
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/extensions/MGrassP.osx.mxx
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/extensions/MaxwellGrass.osx.mxx
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/extensions/SubdivisionModifier.osx.mxx
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/libmwglew.dylib
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/libmwtbb.dylib
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/extensions/MaxwellSea.osx.mxx
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/extensions/Substance.osx.mxx
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/extensions/MaxwellScatter.osx.mxx
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/extensions/AssetReference.osx.mxx
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/extensions/MaxwellVolumetric.osx.mxx
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/libmwtbbmalloc.dylib
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/extensions/MWObjectAlembic.osx.mxx
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/extensions/MaxwellMesher.osx.mxx
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/extensions/MaterialModifiers.osx.mxx
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/extensions/TableBrdf.osx.mxx
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/extensions/rfmeshes.osx.mxx
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/extensions/MaxwellParticles.osx.mxx
/Applications/Maxwell Render 5/extensions/rwmeshes.osx.mxx
/Users/peter/Library/Application Support/McNeel/Rhinoceros/MacPlugIns/maxwell_rhino.rhp/libmxdotnet_native.dylib
/usr/local/cuda/lib/libcuda.dylib
/Library/Frameworks/CUDA.framework/Versions/A/CUDA
/Users/peter/Library/Application Support/McNeel/Rhinoceros/packages/7.0/IntelDenoiser/0.6.0/libtbb.dylib
/Users/peter/Library/Application Support/McNeel/Rhinoceros/packages/7.0/IntelDenoiser/0.6.0/libtbbmalloc.dylib
/usr/lib/log/liblog_network.dylib

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
/Users/peter/Library/Application Support/McNeel/Rhinoceros/MacPlugIns/maxwell_rhino.rhp “Maxwell for Rhino” 5.1.6.3
/Users/peter/Library/Application Support/McNeel/Rhinoceros/packages/7.0/raytraced-materials/0.1.5+v7.4/RaytracedMaterials.rhp “Raytraced Materials” 0.1.5.0
/Users/peter/Library/Application Support/McNeel/Rhinoceros/packages/7.0/ProRender/1.0.0.2/ProRender.Windows.rhp “ProRender” 1.0.0.2
/Users/peter/Library/Application Support/McNeel/Rhinoceros/packages/7.0/IntelDenoiser/0.6.0/IntelDenoiser.Mac.rhp “IntelDenoiser.Mac” 1.0.0.0

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render” 7.3.21053.1002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhMaterialEditor.framework “Renderer Development Kit” 7.3.21053.1002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools” 7.3.21053.1002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots” 7.3.21053.1002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/Displacement.rhp “Displacement” 7.3.21053.1002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.3.21053.23032
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/Import_OBJ.rhp “Import_OBJ” 7.3.21053.23032
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/export_XAML.rhp “export_xaml” 7.3.21053.23032
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/QuadRemesh.rhp “QuadRemesh” 7.3.21053.23032
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/Export_OBJ.rhp “export_OBJ” 7.3.21053.23032
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RDK_EtoUI.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.3.21053.23032
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/export_SVG.rhp “Export SVG” 7.3.21053.23032
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/MeshCommands.rhp “MeshCommands” 7.3.21053.23032
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/Export_DAE.rhp “Export_DAE” 7.3.21053.23032
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/export_PDF.rhp “PDF Export” 7.3.21053.23032
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/export_IGES.rhp “IGES Export Plug-in” 7.3.21053.23032
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/Import_SVG.rhp “Import_SVG” 7.3.21053.23032
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/BlockEdit.rhp “BlockEdit” 7.3.21053.23032
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/Export_AMF.rhp “Export_AMF” 7.3.21053.23032
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.3.21053.23032
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/import_DST.rhp “Import_DST” 7.3.21053.23032
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/export_PLY.rhp “PLY - Polygon File Format Export” 7.3.21053.23032
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/Import_AMF.rhp “Import_AMF” 7.3.21053.23032
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.3.21053.23032
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 7.3.21053.23032
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 7.3.21053.23032

From your systeminfo I can see that you are also using Maxwell 5 for Rhino mac. Yesterday they published 5.2 which now fully supports Rhino mac v7. I am already playing around with it. I would love to read your experiences with it!