Rhino.Inside (Python) on Windows Server

Hi all,

We are currently trying to run a Python script on the Renderfarm of our faculty. Specifically, we have developed the script in Python 3.7.9 using Rhino.Inside. We intend to use this script on a Renderfarm server, due to the high computational demands for the processes we intend to run. However, since our Renderfarm is using Windows Server, we are getting the following error:

"Rhino is not supported on Windows Server. To run Compute on Windows Server, see https://www.rhino3d.com/compute"

Renderfarm and script specifics:

Summary

Python 3.7.9
Rhino.Inside 0.6.0
Windows Server
Using Rhino 7
dual 14-core Xeon E5-2680v4
dual 10-core Xeon E5-2680v2
dual 12-core Xeon E5-2680v3

Based on the error I have read the documentation of compute, and Rhino Inside, including some of the forum threads discussing the usage of Rhino Inside on servers. Unfortunately, it is still unclear what is possible, and I was hoping that someone could answer the following questions:

The documentation states the following:

Summary

When Rhino is logged in to a service account and is running on a Windows Server-based operating system, you will be billed $0.10 per core per hour that Rhino is running (pro-rated per minute).

• I assume that with ‘service account’ you mean a normal Rhino account? Is this also the case with educational accounts?
  • Is it possible to use Rhino.Inside on Windows Server?
  • The documentation states that Rhino Compute uses core-hour billing. Is this also the case with Rhino Inside?
  • What about a VM on Windows server with a version of Windows Home? Do you allow users to use Rhino.Inside on a Renderfarm that way?

When Rhino detects that it is running on a server, it looks for a different license set up through core-hour billing. Please take a look at the following guide: Rhino - Licensing & Billing.

Technically, all that you want to achieve is possible (Rhino.Compute is based on Rhino.Inside), you just need a different license as described in the article. Whether or not that license scheme works for your use case is another matter.

1 Like