Rhino>Grasshopper performance optimizing

I’m frustrated with the performance of grasshopper in rhino and rhino itself. I’m trying to produce some patterns with the plug-in parakeet. I’m looking to produce different iterations rapidly, yet the fastest iteration took 9.8 min. The CPU is steady at 7-8%, RAM 18-20% and GPU 0%. I have read other posts and played with some of the cycles and anti-aliasing, to no avail.

intel i9-10850k
32GB RAM
RTX3080TI

Hi Ian -
You haven’t provided any specifics, so it’s hard to give meaningful comments, except, perhaps, …

If you are basing your frustration on this number, very few processes in Rhino are (or can be) multi-threaded. Your machine is likely working as fast as it can.
-wim

You could use Metahopper’s Bottleneck Navigator to figure out the most time-consuming components on Grasshopper. Based on that information, focus on the top three to five and ponder whether you can speed up the process using alternative algorithms.

You cannot just magically pump up the volume due to tasks that cannot be run in parallel even if you would develop your own parallel components.

My advice is to break down the problem, analyze what takes most time and focus on those. For example, don’t use Breps if you can manage with Meshes or Curves.

Thanks for the feedback, I find it very frustrating that I am limited by rhino’s inability to use the full potential of my machine.

I’m waiting again for the file to open and share a screen shot of the components I’m using, it is very few.

I have the profile view running indicating the time to process each panel/component of which the pattern and fatten component are the most egregious and pertinent.

Any ideas on how-to step-up RAM or CPU utilization.

Thank you for your time and effort.

It’s likely that you are not…
-wim

I do not understand how 7-8% CPU and 18-20% ram capacity under full load is optimizing the machines performance. The GPU isn’t even being touched.

It all depends on what you are doing, what algorithms are used etc that determine how much of the available processing power can be used.

Boolean operations on geometry typically can’t be multithreaded easily for instance. And maybe the implementation of the GH definition in play isn’t conducive to fast operation.

But all that is guess work without seeing the definition.

Also, Cycles settings do not affect Grasshopper performance, they are completely unrelated items.

Thank you, I am still waiting for the file to open, task manager is indicating that rhino is not responding.

I don’t understand why these are limited to single thread processing.

The plugin in Parakeet, a pattern building tool, the controls taking the most time are (venation network) 37.5s and (fatten)17.3 min, but I left it to work last night after 2hr of waiting to find it had crashed this am.

I didn’t expect these issues after purchasing a “graphics workstation”.

Thank you for your help

You’ll probably have to ask the Parakeet devs for more info or how to improve performance ( Parakeet | Food4Rhino ). I don’t know how they implemented their fatten component and whether it can be parallelized.

Thank you, you have been very helpful.

Much appreciated.

OP: if you open the Task-Manager, and select performance, you can show the CPU as separate threads. You may find that one or two are maxed out, as certain parts may be single cored.

Hmm. Within the understanding that many Grasshopper components are mult-threaded… Perhaps, if a project has a single-threaded Grasshopper bottle-neck, perhaps the Dispatch component could be used to bifurcate/split-in-two the workflow into two separate chains.