Rhino Grasshopper combination 3D printed brace

Hi,

I am currently working on a 3D printed brace for patients with a wrist fracture. Somebody else already created this brace and optimised it to the shapes and forces of his own hand in Siemens NX. My job is to create a system that automatically makes an optimised and personalised brace for patients whenever you have a 3D scan of the patients arm. This is mainly because doctors should be able to create this brace and they do not know a lot about software like Siemens NX, so that would take up a lot of time.

I have contacted quite some people and they have all told me to use Grasshopper in Rhino to do this. However, I am not that experienced in Rhino and not at all in Grasshopper. Do you know if this even is possible and do you have any tips on how I can make this system? Do you have any ideas on how I can make this system easily? I think there are two options. Either I make a system that personalizes the already optimised brace, that was created in Siemens NX, to the dimensions from the scan. Or I make a system that both personalizes and optimises the brace at once. I would think the first option is easier to create right?

I hope I have explained this clear enough. Thanks in advance!

Post some photos if possible.

Also it would be really useful to see the data you have from the 3d scan that is the input to the process you want to automate… Is it a point cloud or is it a mesh?

This will make a huge difference to what you need to do in Grasshopper… If you have a nice clean mesh then generating a brace structure on it is definitely feasible in Grasshopper.

If you have a messy point cloud then you have 2 tasks… The first is turning the point cloud into a surface or mesh that you can then generate the brace structure on.

Unfortunately I do not have photos yet, as I just started and are first getting a bit familiar with Grasshopper.

I do however know that the 3d scan is already made into a mesh. What steps do I have to take in Grasshopper to generate the brace structure on the mesh?

Here is an example someone did that puts a voronoi pattern on a surface.

You could do something similar but you want a pattern you have not yet described onto a mesh that we don’t know much about and I presume you want a thickened structure, whereas this is flat.

There are so many questions that will effect the way that you tackle this I would suggest perhaps getting some ideas from this example and writing a more specific brief with an example mesh.

I forget who did this definition… I’m sure it came from this forum or the old GH forum so if anyone recognises it please credit accordingly.

voronoi_2015Dec22a.gh (31.2 KB)