Rhino for Mac not supported on OS X 10.7.5

On December 31, 2014, Mac Rhino will not run on OS 10.7.5.

All installations of Mac Rhino will stop running on OS 10.7.5 on December 31, 2014. To continue using Mac Rhino, please upgrade to OS 10.8.5 or newer (OS 10.10 Yosemite is recommended).

Additional Details:

We are working towards a commercial release of Rhinoceros for Mac and completing a number of unfinished tasks. One of those is completing the localization of the application. We are switching to using Apple’s native localization tools and those tools only work on OS X 10.8 and later. Our current translation tools use ad-hoc techniques that I cobbled together to use the translated strings from Rhino for Windows. It does not provide a complete solution, since it leaves all strings that are specific to the Mac in English, regardless of the language setting.

I tried very hard to find a workaround that would allow us to use Apple’s robust localization tools and also continue supporting 10.7.5, but I was unsuccessful.

Also, supporting all OS X versions back to 10.7 means that we are at this point supporting four different versions of OS X, and this has added to our testing load. We’ve missed a number of bugs recently that are specific to 10.7.5 because of inadequate testing resources.

We looked at how dropping support for 10.7.5 would impact our users. In the general OS X user base, about 4% are running 10.7 and almost 90% are running 10.8 or higher. Some users are running 10.7 even though their computer is supported by 10.8 or newer. Anyone who can run 10.8 can also run OS X Mavericks or OS X Yosemite, and these are free upgrades. The rest of the users running OS X 10.7.5 are running on hardware that is not supported by newer versions of OS X. Those computers are at least 5+ years old, and typically older than that.

We regret discontinuing support for any of our users, but we need to provide a great product for the large majority of Rhino for Mac users, and this requires using relatively recent software tools from Apple.

I apologize for this inconvenience (and big problem for those with older hardware). I did search for a way around this problem but could not find one.

We will create one more version of Rhino for OS X 10.7 users, and will set the expiration date of that release to December 31, 2014. This will allow you time to upgrade your OS X version if that is an option for you, or to otherwise decide if and how you want to continue with Rhino for Mac.

If you visit the download page for Rhino for Mac and are running OS X 10.7, you will be redirected to a different web page for downloading this special 10.7 version.

2 Likes

What about layouts and printing ?

There will be no layouts in the first release version of Mac Rhino as far as I know. Thus printing will also be relatively rudimentary. --Mitch

The general list of what we’re working on and what will NOT be in the initial release of Mac Rhino can be found on the Mac Rhino Wiki page:
http://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/mac/home

heh, good timing (for me at least :wink: )

(fwiw, i wrote off imacs for a long time… but this thing is pretty awesome for just about everything… (haven’t tried any larger rendering projects on it yet but i imagine that’s where the macpro would shine.))

Aloha, and thank you for making Rhino for the Mac available. I am one of those people with old hardware that is incompatible with OSX10.8 or newer. I have a Mac Pro with 2 2.66GHz Dual Core Xeon processors, 20GB of memory, and an ATI Radeon X1900 XT graphics card with 512MB. This machine has never given me any trouble, and continues to perform flawlessly - and it is fast. Fast enough to run Rhino even with very large assemblies. I understand why you can’t continue to support the older versions of the Mac OS, but is there a way to defeat the expiration date on the last version of Rhino that will run on my machine, so I can continue to use my Mac Pro, which I really can’t afford to replace at this time? I have downloaded the latest version of Rhino for the newer OS, and am running it on my much newer Macbook Air, so I will continue to comment and critique the software while development continues - but I can’t run two 24" monitors on the Air, which is what I have attached to the Mac Pro. Any suggestions will be very welcome. Mahalo!

if you’re feeling adventurous:

1 Like

I confirm…
Logiciel est compliqué… mais super utile pour convertir un PDF en Autocad.
Donc ce sera un outil essentiel… !
Complicated software, but really usefully for conversion from PDF 3d to Autocad.
It’s gonna be an essential tool.

I Work on last MacPro late 2013 with Yosemite 10.10 and your software work fine on.

I have a 2006 MacBook, which has been running Rhino for Mac just fine on 10.7.5.

— Will it still run fine after I upgrade the OS to Yosemite? —

I’m hoping to avoid buying a new computer just yet!

i dont think any computer from 2006 can run yosemite… you should check up on that first…
but, if it will take the OS update, i imagine rhino will run just fine

Well… I made the switch to OSX 10.10. All is good so far and as a bonus, even TopMod still works! :smile:

For those able to upgrade past OSX 10.7.5, but, like me, were very reluctant due to a lack of clarity whether Adobe CS5 Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, etc) would still work, my experience is that these three are mostly (completely?) fine.

Could someone kindly assist me with the download link again. All links seem to lead to this post. Thanks!

Rhino for Mac can be downloaded here:
http://www.rhino3d.com/download/wenatchee/5.0/wip

Thanks, but this link just leads me back to this wiki the same as before.

Really? That’s odd. Does this page work? If you click on the download link, does that lead you anywhere?

–Mitch

If you are running OS X 10.7.5, then the download link brings you to this page, which states that you cannot run Rhino on OS X 10.7.5.

@Marlin, That would make sense. Thanks for the tip.

I guess that’s why I’m not seeing it, as I’m on Windows… :blush:

Yeah, maybe we should direct Windows users who click on the Mac download page to a “What were you thinking?” page. :smile:

1 Like