Rhino - AutoCAD ARCHITECTURAL WORKFLOW

Would love to hear how architects or architectural designers are using Rhino to create a complete model and then use AutoCAD to create sheet sets for print.
I have come up with my own way of doing things but it seems like there is tons of room for improvement.
I am not referring to exporting files, I am curious to learn more about a complete workflow that is efficient.
Any references to articles, blog posts or youtube clips are welcome.

Or share your workflow and experience here. Looking forward to hear your ideas for inspiration. Thanks!

In my case I no longer use autocad in my 2D and 3D workflow, I do everything in Rhino and I also integrate visualarq and both are very efficient and customizable to your needs, I think autocad is no longer necessary in my architecture workflow, in rhino you can make your own templates, layouts, etc to save time. This is my personal experience, I haven’t used autocad for 5 years and saving money from the AutoCAD license, I encourage you to try, explore and concentrate your workflow in 3d and 2d in rhino and visualarq. I think that right now we are in a stage where many people are increasingly exploring these tools and there is still not as much dissemination as it should in the field of 2D as an alternative to autocad, but I can tell you that it is worth exploring. Blessings

1 Like

Try to avoid this!
Our office used this workflow for years, but everybody’s happy now that we go down the Rhino/Archicad route. If that is out of budget, you can try if Visualarq fits your needs. However, Archicad has much more powerful layouting and scheduling capabilities, by an order of magnitude.
The biggest issue with Rhino/Autocad will be scheduling and BIM features.

Besides, as Miguel said, there’s not much that can be done in Autocad 2d that can’t be done in Rhino 2d. Opposite even, in my opinion.

1 Like

Hi Mathieu -

Perhaps you could share your workflow? At least, that would make it easier to see where there’s room for improvement. At what point do you get stuck in Rhino and have to move to AutoCAD?
-wim

VisualArq seems really promising and would do almost everything I am looking for however we work on Mac and I have Rhino for Mac. Unfortunately I am not willing to move back to Windows.
I am still hoping that I can find a workflow that will work with the software we have invested in. We are a small timberframe company and transitioning to yet another software packet is not an option for the time being.

As we speak I’m working on a template for Visual ARQ:

I’m trying to see what works best with the program and do everything (more or less) in Rhino.
My philosophy is a bit different than most: If AutoCAD is faster for me to do something in then I will use AutoCAD, which is usually the case but I’m finally making a big push to see what Rhino’s capable of. I found Rhino’s annotation tools cumbersome at first. But as you get used to them they aren’t quite as bad (or slow) as they first appear. Especially if you’re willing to dabble in scripting/customization. There’s big potential!

I had a system where I would export linework using Visual ARQ’s section tools and then do various things in AutoCAD. I have good ACAD standards and in general, I can annotate much faster in AutoCAD compared to Revit. But this workflow involves lots of manual work and I realized I would never be able to teach someone else how to use it. It only works for a freelancer I guess. And isn’t great if there are many changes to process. It’s not as slow as you’d think just tedious. I’d actually use AutoLISP to clean up the linework as well. So I guess it’s not a simply process either. The task which I was doing this for disappeared so I abandoned this workflow but might return to it in the future.

Creating templates and standards takes a TON of time in any BIM program (not if you cut corners but if you want things to look a certain way…). Visual ARQ I would say… has an extremely high ceiling but figuring out a workflow that you can use on a daily basis… not many have done it. One particularly unique challenge I’m finding is that many settings and options aren’t in sync. There are features you simply won’t be able to use depending on which direction you go with the program. I would say that’s what’s taking me the most time as I work my way through creating the template.

2 Likes