Rhino 8 Development

== WISH: “Directed QuickSplit Of PolySurfaces” ==

Wish : Enhance Gumball to support split operation based on Edge + Offset (resembling a Split with isocurve).

1. SubSelect a SubSurface + an Edge (CTRL+SHIFT + Pick Edge).
  2. KEEP Pressing down CTRL+SHIFT and Click on the Gumball’s middle ball (“extrude”)
  3. Type in a offset value in the value box for extrusion.
  4. Confirm.

The related surface should now be Split (like if it had been split with Isocurve) and ready for Push/Pull etc. I could look something like so to use this super-duper command (sorry for the clumsy recording, had to fake it, or course :wink: ):

Benefits:

1. No need to ExtractSurface if the target surface is part of a PolySurface.
  2. No need to Toggle Isocurve direction (direction would be given from the Edge being SubSelected).
  3. Distance from an Edge would make this much faster (less clicks) than if first having to Copy an Edge, then Move the Edge along Surface, then Extract the target Surface, then Split the Surface, then finally Join it all again.
  4. Apart from the Split itself, which wouldn’t be bad to do this quickly, this kind of “quick split” would serve extra well for modifying PolySurfaces.

// Rolf

8 Likes

In my case deleting hatches helps a little bit, but not in a significant way.

Rhino mac 5 was a really fast piece of software, there seems to be a problem with open gl in 6&7 which slows down the machine once you have more then a few curves, hatches and dimensions.

I hope for 8 we can put all horses on metal, because Rhino is a great piece of software. It is just if the software is slow and laggy you lose a lot of time (and money).

1 Like

Using spacebar to popup the commandline interferes with spacebar > search in Grasshopper. Though I’d much rather have it so that whatever window my mouse cursor hovers over is activated. That way you could immediately type to search in Grasshopper and it avoids the useless spacebar. Either that or single hotkeys in Grasshopper without the need to use modifier keys.

Another Grasshopper related one: usually I like to have a number of panels stacked on top of each other (e.g. properties + NamedCPlanes + NamedViews). I would love to be able to store a certain configuration of docked & resized panels and be able to open/ close that particular configuration with a hotkey. This used to be requested quite some years ago IIRC, but hasn’t been mentioned much lately.

1 Like

Personally I would like there to be an Automatic direction option, rather than strict U/V based on the edge the cursor hovers over, just like ‘Loopcut/ Swiftloop’ or Alias’ ‘Curve on Surface’ tool.

This is the Polyquilt addon in Blender, which is currently the best Loopcut:
I expect there to be options to loop through multiple surfaces or single surface.

With regards to @RIL’s proposal, I would prefer taking from Revit the parametric nature of tools to adjust distances. Revit doesn’t have an equivalent tool so it’s just about displaying dimensions to the surface edges so you can manipulate where the split takes place.

This would allude to ‘lazy’ splitting of surfaces and the option to adjust dimensions later. :wink:

Mouse movement instead of gimball
A seperate, but similar UI/UX idea: in Blender, there actually no longer is a need to use a Gimball, thanks to the Kekit Addon, which allows you to move freely, constrained to an axis or plane (based on the view you are in). You can, as I showed towards the end, press a modal key in this case I held down shift and moved my mouse to constrain the movement in a different direction (other options in Blender include: "x "> constrains the axis to the World X axis, “XX” > local x axis, “y” for the Y axis, “alt + z” for the XY plane, “c” for unconstrained movement). Anyways, I personally find this a very intuitive way of working while it still allows for typing in manual distances (e.g. 500) to move a certain distance. The main advantage is that you don’t have to move to the gimball and drag precisely, in fact, there’s no need to hold down a mouse button at all. This therefore requires less effort!

The more technical, in-depth explanation of how this works:

That is _InsertEdge, selection mode set to edge ring, but you can also use edge loop where it makes sense.

1 Like

Nevermind, we are discussing different things, the Split Surface I was referring to was not the SubD version, but the regular surfacing version.
I’ll refrain from commenting on the Subd tools here any further to not de-rail this tread.

for this there is a follow-up function - ToNURBS
or
if you need a “regular surfacing version”, then please

Well, that’s exactly what I’m doing in the clip and also what I’m saying in §2 under “Benefits”. :wink:

2. No need to Toggle Isocurve direction (direction would be given from the Edge being SubSelected).

// Rolf

whoever designed the Zbrush “ui” should be tried for war crimes.

7 Likes

Almost forgot to set this up, unfortunately this is not what I meant. Instead of colouring the Isocurves I want to differentiate between U and V for these:

If this isn’t currently possible, then please add for Rhino 8 :innocent:

Guys, is there any chance that we will see Rhino 8 which performs way better than 6/7 mac??

I end up being really, really frustrated.

I love Rhino but 6/7 but on my computers (macbook pro 15inch + mac mini) is really unusable. Every click takes seconds. The software seems to be allergic to curves, hatches, blocks, dimensions and dwgs, even if you clean up your drawings as much as possible.

My computers work fine with ArchiCAD 24, Affinity, Blender, LIghtroom and so on, even on large and complex files. But Rhino is laggy and slow, to the point when it is really unusable :(( Really, really frustrating :((

Yes; for Mac we are working on a Metal based display system and it is performing much better than Apple’s OpenGL.

8 Likes

Good to hear!

Rhino is a great piece of software and I cannot wait to see it handle well loads of curves, hatches, dimensions, blocks and layouts. That’s when it gets really interesting and becomes incredibly useful as a tool.

1 Like

can you run the systeminfo command in rhino and post the result?

I agree. It’s currently not very easy to distinguish the U and V directions without straining the eyes!

SketchUp’s main patent (which is 20 years old) expires this month.
This could help competitors get rid of SketchUp and the shameful team of parasitic incompetents who have been dealing with it for ten years, since Trimble had bought SketchUp. And let me add that I was a big fan of SketchUp.

5 Likes