Rhino 8 Development

To be perfectly clear : forced subscription model = boycott.

1 Like

I’ve bought Rhino 6/7 mainly because it has a fixed price. I hate subscriptions. I’ve dropped Adobe after they turned to a subscription. I have old Creative Suite CS5.5 and it’s ok but I prefer to use Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher instead of that. I was Adobe customer between CS and CS5.5 (upgraded every version). Affinity bundle can do 95% of what Adobe can do. Instead of After Effects and Premiere Pro I use Blackmagic Design Resolve and Fusion. I know that Adobe won`t cry about me but I feel my personal/business statement is clear to them.

5 Likes

same for me : Affinity

2 Likes

You’re not alone. My company could afford Adobe products but I don’t like to be terrozied so we went for Affinity. It is not 100% exact workflow, you can spot the lack of deformation tools or many good stuff but I believe this way I support fair business. For the same reason I moved from AutoCAD to Rhino to discover how wonderful the world is outside the corporations.

10 Likes

Yeah I’ve brought this up many times. If everybody that uses it needs to customise it, I’d argue that it needs a better setting to begin with. Lettering would go a way.

Is there an official roadmap link?

No, we are still in the process of defining V8 projects.

4 Likes

yes, +1

Shoulda Had a V8 - Some Marketing for the future…

1 Like

Better than the current product association with “Rhino 7” which, when googled with the wrong browser, is mildly NSFW.

1 Like

Hi, everybody
Perhaps you could also add a small set of sculpting brushes to the SubD tools,
as in the Clayoo plugin, which would be very convenient given the ability to have precise rulers in the Rhino set. And also considering that you can make a Quad Remesh on top of the created shape and work with it further.
Here is an example example.

3 Likes

Enhancement for Rhino? What is wrong with that?

2 Likes

Everyone wants a big Rhino! This is a real product that should grace the lobby at McNeel.

You guys should take up a collection at the office and get one for Bob on Father’s Day!

https://www.designtoscano.com/product/life-sized+rhinoceros+statue+-+ne140042.do?&code=2019SHPT&utm_medium=SHOPPING&gclid=CjwKCAjwqvyFBhB7EiwAER786SB7D7rSYVpyvX60ZapgGL50FkegysmpCEtk2GuGxd213QuYJnNRkBoCB28QAvD_BwE

With No Headaches - Sounds Great!

1 Like

I have a suggestion for increasing attenuation value in surface matching in NURBS surface modeling. I own 5 legitimate Rhino sets, and I hope you can carefully consider my suggestion

1 Like

I would add the following to your list:

1.***Changing Materials. With SketchUp there is an eyedropper tool that toggles between the “Paint tool”, it acts like match properties for materials, this is a really fast interface. The eyedropper that allows you to “get” the material of any object even if it’s within a block or nested block, it takes one click. In Rhino you have to double click on the block (nested blocks are a whole other can of worms), then select the object, then go to properties, then go-to material, then change the material.

1a. In Sketchup, When the material paint tool is applied to a block (without entering it) it paints everything within the block.

1b. In rhino, for some reason materials get duplicated when applied to blocks or many objects. Sometimes I end up having 20 of the same material.

1. Nested Blocks: Blocks are essential in an architectural workflow. I would proposed double-click on the nested block to access it as in Sketchup and AutoCAD? In rhino, I have to choose the item in a popup menu. If there are hundreds of nested blocks that are not named perfectly, it’s impossible to find the nested blocks. This is particularly a problem when importing geometry from Revit or Sketchup.

2a. Also, Skechup does not care if the block is scaled in 1D.

If McNeel changed the material and blocks UI, I would never use sketchup again.

7 Likes

Please consider a rework on the block system. there are plenty of suggestions made from people way more experienced than me that would make a dream to work with the block system.

My main problem as a relative new user is the confusion of blocks and layers, stuff hiding with wrong layers, and the invisible block definition that can’t be moved.

5 Likes

Rhino 7 introduces many more new features than improving the existing one
:pray:

Please ! make the existing an excellence!

9 Likes

and please please please clean up how the fonts function on mac (i can’t speak about the windows version), it is unusable the way the inferface functions, also half of the fonts dont work. fonts are an integral part of documenting and annotating drawings, having this half broken and neglected to this degree is a real shame guys.

1 Like

Yeah… That section is always white for me too. Would love an option for a dark theme built in to Rhino 8!

5 Likes