Rhino 7 on Linux

Hi,

I’m just a casual user of Rhino for years, and I use it for personal projects. I thought I’d just put this out there as a possible path for getting it to run semi-reliably with Wine on Linux. For anyone encountering this post, Linux isn’t supported, don’t expect support from McNeel. I don’t even know if it’s ok to post this here.

Anyway, Grasshopper seems to work. auto-update will work occasionally on a clean boot of the workstation or after terminating all existing processes. 3D acceleration appears to work. You might have to mess with UI DPI in wine if you have a high dpi display like mine (4K)

I use cloud zoo login licensing which works seamlessly.

Here’s a github gist to the checklist of things to do.

https://gist.github.com/aaronsb/15d25df0b718f3f9cc342589f3dfb7b8

I know this implementation can be improved with those who know more about Wine than I do.

I’ve worked in this environment now for about 10-15 hours on various projects and haven’t encountered anything particularly egregiously bad yet. I hope this helps those who need it.

2 Likes

Looks interesting. I’ll definitely have to regain access to my linux box and see if I can get Rhino working with your instructions. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I’ve been experimenting with cuda libs and other things. Can’t get rhino to detect cuda for render offloading, but using wine-staging allows me to leverage wine-7.22 (Staging) which seems to then allow me to use Vulkan rendering. This, in turn, reduced the visual artifacts in viewports.

There’s still some stuff that “just isn’t right” like certain ui elements popping up as black squares. I would imagine there’s a lot of legacy technical decisions in the ui and other things within Rhino, making calls to all sorts of layers of microsoft stuff.

Here’s my _SystemInfo if you’re curious:

Rhino 7 SR24 2022-11-4 (Rhino 7, 7.24.22308.15001, Git hash:master @ cb2ad12922ceb989b185972675bb705a00abb97d)
License type: Commercial, build 2022-11-04
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10 (10.0.17763 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 63Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: NA
Driver Version: NA
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.24.22308.15001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.24.22308.15001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.24.22308.15001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 7.24.22308.15001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.24.22308.15001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 7.24.22308.15001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.24.22308.15001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Here’s a short video of clicking around. I deliberately spawned the application from the terminal so you can see the callback messaging that’s happening in the background.

3 Likes

While Raytracing is restricted to using CPU you could go to Tools > Options > Cycles and move sharpness slider one or two ticks to the left and the responsiveness slider maybe even all the way to the left. It should help with interactivity in the viewport. The actual _Render will still be at full pixel resolution.

1 Like