Rhino 7 license and previous versions

Will Rhino 7 license allow users to use previous versions, like 5 and 6, similary as it was with Rhino 6 license?

If you have bought the previous licenses and have the license keys, yes.

However, If someone buys only V7 as a new license (without having licenses from previous versions) then no, they will not be able to run previous versions with their V7 license key.

In short, you need a license key which corresponds to the version for each version - later version license keys cannot run earlier versions.

1 Like

Mitch
Do you have any idea if the direct upgrade V5 to V7 will be possible?
I own private V5 and have corporate V6 but Iā€™m thinking of having valid licence on my own too.

Yes, any previous version of Rhino has always been valid for an upgrade to the latest.

1 Like

Great! Thanks.

Thank you for answers.

To expand this topic a bit, currently buying new copy of Rhino 6 will give access to Rhino 5 key (due to kind policy of McNeel) on which I may use specific plugins which are running only on Rhino 5 due to lack of development. Will there be a way to get access to Rhino 5 by buying new copy from reseller when Rhino 7 will be launched?

If not, then I asusme only way to increase number of working designers in team is to convince plugin developer to arrange plugin upgrade for Rhino 7, or buy source code from him and do it by myself?

Canā€™t say. As V5 is now like 8 years old, I donā€™t know if McNeel will continue their ā€œlegacyā€ policy. There seemed to be two major plug-ins that caused problems - the ones that Autodesk bought, T-Splines and VSR. T-Splines has been more or less made redundant by SubD in V7, but the VSR functionality remains mostly unsolved in Rhino.

Some V6 plug-ins may run in V7 with little adaptation. Active plug-in developers will want to keep current if they want to continue selling/supporting their plug-ins. Some stuff will also possibly disappear (there is a thread here about a V6 plug-in developed by someone who has now passed away for example).

Obviously companies like Autodesk are not going to do anything in this regard. And I donā€™t think it will be possible to buy their source codeā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

According to latest info from here https://www.rhino3d.com/download/#retrieve-a-legacy-key-for Rhino 7 license can be used to work with Rhino 5 or Rhino 6.

That plugin, can be upgraded by reverse engineering. However it would certainly break a lot of user agreementsā€¦

Is it also possible to use a Rhino 7 license for an extra seat in the Rhino 6 Cloud zoo? I want to make sure the licenses are used optimally.

Iā€™m not sure I understand the question, but you can have Rhino both 6 and 7 in the Cloud Zoo. If the Rhino 7 is an upgrade, it is still only one license, so the 6 that was upgraded can not be used as the same time as the 7 upgradeā€¦ but it can be used if someone is not using the that Rhino 7 upgrade.

Hey Bob,
Let me try to clarify. We needed an extra Rhino license, so we bought a Rhino 7 license, NOT an upgrade, hoping we can add it to the Rhino 6 CLoud zoo until we upgrade the other licenses to Rhino 7 in the coming months. In the picture, you can see that it created the Rhino 7 Cloud once we added the license, but preferably we want 11 members to be able to use Rhino 6 but also have the option to use this 1 license for Rhino 7 if need be.

Hopefully you understand

Hi Rolf,

perhaps an additional Rhino 6 legacy license could help you. You can retrieve the Rhino 6 legacy license here: https://www.rhino3d.com/access-rhino-6/

Happy x-mas

Michael

Hi @rolf, as Michael mentions you need to generate your legacy key first. Here a video tutorial. If you have any problem send me the license key or account email to sales.eu@mcneel.com. Iā€™ll take a look.

1 Like

Thanks, Michael and Carla, this is exactly what I was looking for! Maybe I should have searched a bit longer before posting myself hehe.

No worries! Iā€™m glad we helped.